Friday, January 15, 2016

Boyfriends Are Not Tests (Chapter 2)

A few days later, Debra found herself walking in the halls, destined to go to her next class through many roaming students. She was a minute away from her assigned classroom before she felt a tap on her shoulder. She stopped, turned around and saw Kyle, who was shyly smiling.
"Oh, hey," greeted Debra, too calm to be nervous.
"Hey," Kyle greeted back.
"How are you?"
"I want to say fine but I'm not fine but I'm gonna say it anyway. I'm fine."
"Oh, Kyle--"
"What happened to last week? Did what we did mean nothing to you?"
"No, of course not. It meant a whole lot to me."
"Then why can't we have that right now?"
"I don't know. It's just that Drake really likes me--"
"So you're going to date him out of pity?"
"No, I mean I did like him."
"So you don't like me?"
"Wait a sec. You're confusing me."
"You're confusing me! You know that I like you and you should be with me. Not with Drake."
"I just don't want to hurt Drake's feelings."
"So it's okay to hurt mine?"
"You know, when you say it like that, you make it sound so bad."
"Wha-- It is bad!"
Out of nowhere, Drake popped up and put his arm around Debra, which caused her eyes to widen. Kyle was put in an awkward spot once again. Drake, on the other hand, had no clue whatsoever.
"Hey, Debra," Drake smiled.
"Hey, Drake," Debra smiled, in an uncomfortable way.
"What's up, Kyle?"
"What's down?" reacted Kyle. "Ever thought about asking that?!"
He stormed off with Drake and Debra watching him leave until he disappeared, which didn't take long.
"What's wrong with him?" Drake asked.
"Oh, he has really bad gas," Debra lied. "It's really bad."
Drake looked up while nodding. "Oh, okay. I got to get to class. Wanna come with?"
"No, I feel like standing."
"Okay. Well, I just wanted to say hi to you." Drake pecked Debra on the cheek. "Bye, babe."
"Bye... you."
Drake smiled at his "girlfriend" before walking away. Debra watched him leave so she could go to class without him around her. For a second, she looked in front of herself and noticed something off. Far away, she saw the janitor's closet open and out came Kevin who looked very suspicious. Debra tried to make it look like she wasn't paying attention and waited a little while to look again. Her second glance, Kevin was nowhere to be seen and the closet was closed. But a few seconds later, Andrea opens the closet and linked eyes with her friend, Debra.
"Andrea?" Debra said loudly.
Andrea froze with wide eyes before secluding herself in the closet again. Debra ran down the hall and opened the janitor's closet. She walked inside and closed the door behind her. She was face-to-face with a nervous Andrea.
"Hey, Debbie, what's up?" she asked. She then reached for her friend's head. "I love your hair."
Debra slapped Andrea's hands away. "There's nothing different about my hair. What were you doing in the closet with Kevin Christie?"
"See, what had happened was that he wanted to talk but the hallway was too rowdy so he insisted that we talk in this closet."
"You still talk to him?"
"No, he was the one that wanted to talk. So I let him talk, then I slapped him so he left. And I just happened to leave a minute after him."
"Andrea, do you expect me to believe you?"
"No but it was worth a try."
"What are you doing with your ex-boyfriend?"
"Alright, when I tell you this, you can't judge me. I was getting my mack on in the closet with Kevin."
"You did what?"
"I said you can't judge me!"
"How long has this been going on?"
"A few weeks. A couple months."
"A couple months?! This has been going on since the start of fall? I thought you said you were finished with him."
"I did say that. But after breaking up with him, I realized that I love him. And he loves me."
"Andrea. You can't love someone else when you already got a boyfriend."
"Oh, isn't that the pot calling the kettle African-American? You're the one with the two boyfriends."
"I don't have two boyfriends. I have one."
"Oh, yeah? Which one is it?"
"Uh..."
"Exactly. You're no worse than me."

No comments:

Post a Comment