Saturday, January 9, 2016

The Worst Date (Chapter 4)

    Later that night, Drake arrived at Debra's home to pick her up. He text-messaged her to come out so Debra put on a coat to keep her dad from seeing her sexy red dress. She exited the bungalow and got into Drake's white Honda. Lizzie left Debra's home after Drake drove off his date to Red Lobster. Before they knew it, Drake and Debra were sitting across from each other at a booth for four, waiting for the waiter to get them their drinks. For a while, Debra's eye makeup had been bothering her. She kept blinking, especially with one eye, as the golden eyeshadow and black eyeliner were irritating her left eye. Drake, of course, noticed it and felt a bit concerned.
    "Are you okay?" he asked.
    "Mm-hmm, yep," Debra replied.
    "Are you sure? You can't stop blinking your eye."
    "I'm not blinking. I'm winking. I'm winking at you."
    "Okay."
    Debra did not want to mess up her eye makeup but she wanted to stop blinking, too. So she put her head down and squeezed her eyes shut for a few seconds. Then she opened them and blinked a few times until the irritation went away.
    "You look really amazing," Drake remarked, noticing her lacy cherry-colored frock.
    "Thank you."
    "Sorry if I stare at you all night."
    "It's okay."
    "So how's school for you?"
    "It's good."
    "Just good?"
    "And nice."
    "Okay. I think school is good and nice, too. I've been having problems in Italian class. It used to be really easy for me but now, it's getting hard. I don't know what happened. But I'm trying my best and I hope something good comes along. What language do you take?"
    "Latin."
    "Oh, that's interesting. Is it hard?"
    "No."
    "Okay, what do you like about it?"
    "It's fun."
    "It's fun?"
    "Yes."
    "Alright then."
    Soon, the waiter arrived with a tray of two glasses filled with ice water.
    "Here are your drinks," he said, putting the drinks down on the table.
    "Thank you, man," said Drake.
    "Are you two ready to order?"
    "I am. Are you, Debra?"
    "Yes," Debra answered.
    "Okay." Drake picked up his menu and flipped a few pages. Debra did the same. "Uh, I want to have the Chicken Parmesan but are you fine with me eating meat in front of you?"
    "Of course."
    "Cool. I'll have the Chicken Parmesan, then."
    "Good," said the waiter, writing the order down on his notepad. "And what will you have, Miss?"
    Debra looked at her menu. "I will have the Caesar salad."
    The waiter scribbled it down. "Okay. With black pepper?"
    "Yeah."
    "Alright. Your food will be served in less than a hour."
    "Thank you, man," Drake said before the waiter walked away. "So when you did decide that you were going to be a vegetarian?" he asked Debra.
    "When I was five," she answered.
    "Why did you want to become one?"
    "I like animals."
    Drake nodded, waiting for more to that answer. "Okay. I like animals, too, but I don't know. I just like... eating them... not to sound like a cannibal."
    "You don't."
    "It's just that my family had a thing for cooking lots of meat so I grew up eating it and you know... liking it."
    "Okay."
    "But I appreciate that you're a vegetarian. I think that's cool."
    "Thank you." Debra pushed her gold thin bracelets up and down her arm in a way that looked a little weird and excessive.
    "Um, I eat a lot of vegetables actually. Practically more than I eat meat. I like to stay healthy and fit so I can go surfing."
    "Okay."
    "Do you surf?"
    "No, I don't."
    "Are you interested in surfing?"
    "No, I'm not."
    "Okay. Do you want to watch me surf sometime?"
    "Yes, I want to."
    "Okay. Cool."
    Excessively, Debra twisted her big ruby earring back and forth. Drake just stared with an expressionless look on her face until she stopped playing with her earring. Then Debra remembered: Lizzie told her, "Guys like sports and Megan Fox." So she asked Drake:
    "Do you know if Megan Fox also surfs?"
    "Uh, I don't know. I don't think so. Are you a Megan Fox fan?"
    "No, I'm not."
    "Oh, okay. Finally, a question came out of your mouth."
    Debra giggled, almost awkwardly, while pushing her bracelets up and down her arm like a crazy person. She eventually stopped laughing and kept still. Drake was utterly confused.
    "Are you sure you're okay?" he asked again.
    "Yes, I'm sure."
    "You're not nervous or anything?"
    "No, I'm not nervous."
    "Okay, just making sure. God, you look beautiful."
    Debra grinned, flipping her short hair with both hands for each side.
    "I'm sorry. I just had to say it."
    "It's okay."
    "I've never seen you look like this. I mean you're pretty every day, no matter what you look like. But right now, I cannot take my eyes off of you."
    "Oh, stop, Drake," Debra said in a successfully flirty voice while batting her dark, full eyelashes at him. Then her flirtatious batting transitioned into wild blinking as her makeup started to irritate her eye again.
    Drake's smile slowly faded away as he changed his facial expression. Debra squeezed her eyes shut again then opened them. She did it again then opened them. She blinked until her eyes weren't bothered anymore.
    "Do you have something in your eye?" questioned Drake.
    "Yes, I do," responded Debra. Her eyes began running with black makeup. "And that's you."
    Drake chuckled, almost awkwardly. "So... I can't wait to eat that Chicken Parmesan. I haven't eaten since four O'clock."
    "Okay."
    "I could hardly eat while thinking about this date. This... very interesting date."
    "Aw, Drake." Debra played her earrings again.
    "Do you need a tissue?"
    "Why?"
    "You just appear to be... crying."
    "Oh, no, I'm not crying. What?"
    "Your makeup is running down your face."
    "Oh!" Debra wiped under her eyes until her face was dry. The black wetness was off but the lower lids of her eyes were smudged. "Did I get it?" she asked before quickly realizing that one of her bracelets got caught on her ruby earring.
    "Are you okay?"
    "Yeah, I'm fine." Debra attempted to yank her arm off of her earring a few times. The last time hurt her, making her say, "Ow!"
    "Are you sure?"
    "Yes, I'm sure. I just love this earring." She tried to make it look like she was twirling her earring again. After another yank, she scratched her eye, causing her to blink excessively once more. "I gotta go to the bathroom," she said, sliding out of her seat.
    Almost out of nowhere, the waiter came back with two trays of the couple's desired meals. "Your food has arrived," he announced.
    Hearing his voice startled Debra a bit and she began wobbling in her floral heels. Her right foot bent down in front of her other foot which caused her to lose her balance and uncontrollably back up. She bumped into the table with her back and stumbled down. She put her arm on the table to pick herself up but she accidentally hit her glass of water. The glass got knocked over and spilled cold water and ice everywhere, especially on Debra, chilling her back and wetting her dress. The glass even began rolling off the table until it hit Debra on the head, knocking her down flat on the floor. The waiter backed up when he saw the action unravel. When Debra fell, she got the bracelet off of her earring. Drake sprang out of his seat and rushed over to Debra to console her.
    "Debra, are you alright?" he asked, lifting her up by the arm.
    Luckily for her, Debra regained her vision. Yet unluckily for her, she accidentally let one rip, loud enough for a bunch of people at the restaurant to hear. Drake didn't know how to respond so he kept silent. Laughter was heard in the background.
    Embarrassed, Debra's face reddened. "I got to go." She got up by herself and began running out of the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment