Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Tongue-tied (Chapter 5)

On a Monday, lunchtime began, and the girls, except for Madeline, got together at their table in the cafeteria.
"Where's Madeline?" asked Andrea.
"I don't know," answered Debra. "I saw her this morning."
"We all saw her this morning," said Skye in a nasal voice. She started coughing violently.
"Are you sure you don't want to chill at home?" Lizzie asked, leaning away from Skye.
"Hey, I feel fine. I'm just not fine-fine."
"I can see," said Andrea. "I hope you don't have Ebola."
"Ha-ha. Very funny."
"That's not funny; that's serious," Lizzie said.
Andrea shrugged her shoulders.
Debra turned her head to see if Madeline was approaching. Luckily, she spotted her quickly. "Oh, hey, I found Madeline."
The girls looked at Debra's direction, seeing Madeline actually talking to her friend, Tony, as they enter the cafeteria.
"Oh, my gosh," Lizzie gasped. "She's finally talking to him."
"Yes, finally," said Andrea. "Now we don't have to be embarrassed with her."
"I can't believe that there was a possible chance that Madeline gets shy," said Skye. "I can't believe it. She's so assertive."
"Yeah, and confident, too," added Lizzie.
"Assertive means confident."
"Well, I don't own a dictionary."
"Now I know what to get you for Christmas."
"Really?! What?!"
Skye chuckled to herself.
Soon after, Madeline parted from Tony and walked to her table of friends.
"Hi, Madeline," greeted Debra.
Madeline sat down next to her. "Hey, Debra. Hi, girls."
The rest of the girls greeted.
"So what is like talking Tony?" asked Lizzie.
"It's like taking candy from a sleeping baby."
"That's not nice; that's the baby's candy."
"I'm trying to say it was easy. Easier than I expected."
"Oh, yay."
"So where are you and Tony at?" Andrea questioned. "Where do you two stand?"
"Uh, I don't know," Madeline replied.
"Come on, you do so know."
"You can tell us anything," said Lizzie, leaning closer towards Madeline.
"I have nothing to tell."
"Now you're shy around us?" Andrea threw her arms out. "Come on, Mads, spit it out."
"Girls, I love you all but I have nothing to say."
"Please, Maddie," started Skye. "Don't be so--" She stopped to cough and hack loudly and violently as earlier. The girls jumped back from her verocious illness. Skye took a gasp of breath before speaking again. "I'm sorry about that."
"How about this: I'll tell you guys once Skye washes her hands."
"Come on. It's just a little cold."
"Wet, lather and rinse, young lady!"

No comments:

Post a Comment