Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Have Fun Working at the Mall (Chapter 5)

The next day, Madeline felt bad about the way she behaved towards Penelope. She learned that if you want to get anywhere in life, you have to work. Plus, her parents had a fit when they learned she had gotten fired. However, Madeline wanted to get her job back and marched to the mall to head to the Pink Tee.
"Penelope," she called after entering the colorful store.
Penelope, from behind the counter, groaned and rolled her eyes once she saw Madeline.
Madeline walked in front of the counter. "Look, I wanted to say I'm sorry. I acted like a brat and that's because I acted like a brat my entire life. But now, I just want to be normal and not depend on money to get me through life. I want to work."
Penelope picked the doughnut in a paper bag off of the counter. She walked out and marched towards Madeline. "You know, you have got a lot of nerve of talking to me the way you were talking to me. Don't you have any respect for the elders?"
"You're only twenty-five years old. You have to be--"
"Don't be a smart aleck, okay, Mad? I should have hired some woman in her thirties who is unable to grown from her teens than an actual teenager. I never liked kids ever since that baby threw up on me. Again. And again. And again. So I should've learned my lesson but what about yours?"
"I learned my lesson. I learned that adults' lives are harder than a teenager's and I should respect them because I have a lot to learn."
"You know, you sound smart but your words are just going, 'Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo'. My boyfriend wants kids so I tell him I have no ovaries."
"That's a bit personal."
"It's not personal if it's not true. I'm working fine. But here, this, this is not working fine." Penelope took a bite of her doughnut and continued to speak in a muffled tone. "You can apologize all you want but I know, deep down, you ain't going to change because--" Penelope suddenly started to gag. She produced tiny gasps and a silent gurgling from inside her mouth.
"Please, Penelope, I know you're mad but this is real. I can't promise to change but I can promise to do my best."
Penelope continued to gag, gaping her mouth wider and wider.
"Now you're speechless. Please talk to me."
Penelope stiffly waved her hand in front of her face as she turned red.
"What? Now I stink? Come on, Penelope, I understand how you're feeling but don't act like this."
Penelope then slowly held her neck, still gagging.
"Now I make you vomit? Don't be so cruel, Penelope. Oh, you're sending me mixed messages."
It took Madeline a couple seconds to make a realization.
"Oh, oh, my god! Are you choking?"
Penelope nodded; her eyes rolled to the back of her head.
"Oh! Oh, I'm so sorry."
Madeline ran behind Penelope and wrapped her arms around her abdomen. She held on to her arms while pushing quickly and forcefully on Penelope's stomach. Madeline did that four times until Penelope spit up her doughnut. Madeline released to let Penelope breathe and relax.
Penelope took another gasp of air before speaking. "Oh, Mad. You saved my life."
"It's Madeline."
Penelope, without hesitating, hugged Madeline. Madeline did not hug her back as Penelope released quickly. "Oh, my gosh. Thank you, thank you."
"Well, I wasn't going to let you die. I really need a job."
Penelope glared.
"I'm just kidding, You're welcome."
"God, I'll never eat and talk at the same time again."
"I didn't even know you were choking. I thought you were making fun of me."
"Oh, thank goodness you're smart."
"You'll admit that?"
"Just thank you. Thank you. I owe you."
"You owe me?"
"Yes, of course."
"So since you owe me, can you give me my job?"
"Seriously?"
Madeline nodded.
"Oh, I guess I can do that."
Madeline squealed happily before squeezing Penelope. "Thank you, thank you! And I promise I'll behave. I promise."
Penelope patted Madeline's back. "Just because I hugged you does not mean you can hug me back."
Madeline released. "Oh, sorry. When can I start?"
"How about right now?"
"I'll get my shirt."
As Madeline began to walk pass the entrance door, her friend, Guy, walked in with a bouquet of flowers. She instantly paid attention to him by stopping.
"Hey," Guy greeted.
"Hey, Guy," Madeline smiled. "What are you doing here again?"
"Well, you haven't called me so I thought I'd stop by."
"Guy, you gave me your number yesterday. I don't call people the day after."
"I was just joking."
"Oh, you're a joker now? What's with the flowers? Are they for your mom?"
"Yeah, but then I started to think of you so..." Guy took out one of the flowers from the bouquet and handed it to Madeline. "... one lucky daffodil for a lucky lady."
Madeline smiled from ear to ear while sniffing the flower. "This is actually a sunflower but thanks."
"So before I stash these at home from my mother, I'm going to the White Cup cafe. Do you want to join me?"
"Yeah!"
Penelope loudly cleared her throat.
"I mean no. I'm sorry."
"No, it's cool," Guy responded. "But if you change your mind, you know where to find me."
"Okay. Bye."
"Buh-bye." Guy turned around and left the Pink Tee.
After he did so, Madeline rushed up to Penelope. "Can I go on just one little break?"
"No," Penelope answered.
"Oh, please?"
"No."
"I know what I said but--"
"Your shift starts now."
"Fine." Madeline threw her arms down. She turned around and trudged away from Penelope. She sighed then mumbled, "I hate responsibility."

No comments:

Post a Comment