Monday, October 6, 2014

Have Fun Working at the Mall (Chapter 4)

For two days, Madeline worked at the Pink Tee after school. She did not like the idea of working after school because of the hours she works, she does not have enough time to do her homework. She worked at the Pink Tee with either a sad or bored look on her face. One day, while on her shift, she laid her elbow on the counter and rested her head in her hand while waiting for customers to walk in. When an old woman happened to walk in the store, Madeline announced blandly:
"Welcome to the Pink Tee where our tees are pink. May I help you?"
"Oh, I'm just looking," said the woman.
"Good."
The woman slowly walked around half of the store, gazing upon the racks and tables of pastel-colored clothing. Madeline, tired out of her mind, laid her head down on the counter as if she was going to sleep. The woman stopped by a table and picked up a yellow, plain T-shirt from the neat pile on top.
"Excuse me, miss," she called. "Miss?"
Madeline stood up. "What's up?"
"I need your help."
Madeline moaned. She walked over the counter and towards the woman. "What do you want?"
"Do you have this T-shirt in blue?"
"Yes." Madeline picked up a blue T-shirt off of the same table which was on top of a different pile of shirts. "There's one right here."
"Oh, I mean baby blue."
"Why didn't you say 'baby blue'?"
"I thought you knew that's what I wanted."
"I can't read your mind, lady."
"So baby blue?"
"Yes. I will be right back."
Madeline walked to her right across the store, heading towards the racks that were attached to the wall. She dug behind the shirts on one of the racks and took out a hanger of a light blue T-shirt. She walked back to the lady and held the shirt in front of herself.
"See? Baby blue."
"Hmm," the woman hummed. "Now I want lavender."
"But you said 'baby blue'."
"Yeah, but I like lavender."
"So you wanted to wear a baby blue shirt that you didn't even like?"
"I'm sorry. Is that confusing?"
"Very."
"Oh. But still, lavender."
While staring at the customer, Madeline picked up a lavender shirt from the same table and unfolded it by switching the fingers in her hand.
"It has writing on it," the woman noted.
"No way."
Madeline threw the shirt back on the table and scanned the whole store quickly. She walked pass the table and headed towards one of the racks with wheels. She spotted a plain, lavender T-shirt and took it by the hanger. She replaced that tee with the baby blue tee from earlier. She quickly walked back to the woman and held up the shirt.
"See? Lavender."
"Thank you," the woman said. "Wait... wouldn't I look better in teal?"
Madeline rapidly threw down her arms. "Do you even have money?"

Later, Madeline waited for more customers while doodling in a pink notebook of a flower on the counter. Instantly, she heard someone enter from the sounds of light yet audible footsteps. She turned her attention to the customer and said in a tired to intrigued voice:
"Welcome to the Pink Tee and it just got better."
The customer, who was a young male with a buff chest and gelled back brown hair, smiled at Madeline. "Hi," he greeted.
Madeline closed her notebook. "Hello. I'm Madeline."
"Oh, fancy name."
"I know, right? May I help you?"
"Yeah, I would like to know if you have any frilly shirts."
"Oh, you're buying for a girlfriend?"
"No, I don't have a girlfriend."
"Music to my ears."
"I'm buying something for my mother. Her birthday is coming up and she likes frilly things."
"Then your mother and I have something in common. Not to sound weird."
The boy laughed. "I'm Guy."
"Darn right it is. The frilly shirts are in the back. On second thought, I'll get them."
"Thanks."
"Don't mention it. I love doing things for people."
Madeline walked out from behind the counter and rushed across to the back of the store. Once she spotted the shirts, she grabbed three of them from their hangers and rushed back to Guy.
"Tell me what you like," she said seductively, holding up the shirts.
"Well, I like you."
"Oh, stop."
"Sorry."
"No, it means keep going."
Guy chuckled. "I think my mom will like the orange one."
Madeline dropped all of the shirts except the orange one. "Then orange you shall receive."
"Are you French?"
Madeline walked back around the counter while answering, "Yes; how did you know?"
Guy leaned towards the counter. "You just have this rich feel to yourself."
"Well, I used to be rich. But now only my parents are rich. I guess it just hasn't worn off of me yet."
"That's not what I meant but I can roll with that. Can you say something in French?"
Madeline scanned the tag of the shirt with a bulky device. "Tu es mignon et je veux ton numero de telephone."
"Cool. What does that mean?"
"You are cute and I want your phone number."
"Oh, I thought I heard 'telephone' in there."
Madeline giggled. "That will be sixty dollars."
"Sixty dollars for a shirt?"
"Hey, I didn't come up the prices. I'll tell you what: give me your number and I'll lower the price to twenty bucks."
When Madeline said that, her manager Penelope walked in and witnessed the action.
"Oh, you fox," Guy commented. "Deal."
Madeline grinned. She took the twenty dollars that Guy handed her after reaching into his pocket. While Madeline handled the cash register, Guy pulled out a tiny piece of paper and started to write down on it with the pen Madeline used to doodle. Madeline put the orange, frilly shirt into a Pink Tee plastic bag and gave it to Guy. In return, he gave her the paper with his number on it.
After receiving the paper, Madeline said, "Oh, what does the fox say?"
The two teenagers laughed and said their goodbyes before Guy left the store. Afterwards, Penelope marched towards the counter, startling Madeline.
"Did you just give that boy a discount?" she asked.
"Um... define 'discount'."
"I did not say you can do that with customers."
"Sorry but did you see that guy? I mean he was hot."
"I'm twenty-five with a boyfriend."
"Like that makes a difference."
"Mad, you're not the manager; I am. And whatever you're going to do that I won't approve, you should ask me first."
"My name is Mad-e-line and why would I ask for something you wouldn't approve of?"
"Because it's more considerate."
"Penelope, if you understood me, you would understand this whole process. Okay, I am trying to make a living."
"Well, you can forget about making that living because you're fired."
"What?"
"You heard me."
"You can't do that!"
"Yes, I can because I'm the manager."
"Oh, come on."
"You better get out of here and give me back your employee uniform in five minutes or I'm calling the cops."
"It's not a uniform; it's a shirt that looks like a regular shirt."
"Don't care. Just get out." Penelope walked away toward her office which was in the corner of the store.
"I've only been here for three days. Please, Penelope."
"Oh, wham, bam, green eggs and ham."
"Don't quote bad Adam Sandler movies to me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment