Sunday, October 12, 2014

Tongue-tied (Chapter 2)

The week after, Madeline thought that she should tell her friends about the unusual encounters that she had with her classmate, Tony, ever since she met him. So during lunch time in the cafeteria, Madeline finally spit it out.
"Girls, do you think I'm cool?" she asked.
"What kind of question is that?" asked Skye.
"I just want to know."
"To us, yes," answered Andrea. "But to other people, no."
"Why do you care?" questioned Lizzie to Madeline.
Madeline answered, "Because I met this boy named Tony and I don't know what happened but when I first saw him, I was speechless. Literally! And I have so much to say."
"We know that," said Andrea.
"I can't control myself around him. And for the past week, I have been stuttering and muttering every time I talk to him."
"Then why not just not talk to him?" Skye asked.
"Because he either talks to me or I have to. But I can't and I don't know why."
"How can you react this way to Tony but never to any guys you liked?" asked Debra.
"I think I have an idea. The guys I meet are always smoking hot. But Tony, he's gorgeous. I have never seen or dated a guy who looked similar to Tony. Never!"
"How can you date but not see a guy?" asked Lizzie.
"I get it," said Andrea. "You're in love."
"No way," responded Madeline.
"Uh-huh. People act weird around other people they like 'too much'."
"I barely know his last name to be in love with him."
"Maybe it's love at first sight," added Debra.
"Uh, I don't think I believe in that."
"You don't got to know his last name to love him," said Andrea. "Romeo didn't ask for Juliet's last name when they started to get their mack on."
"I thought her last name was Montague or something," Debra replied.
"Yeah, I don't care. Maddie, this could be so exciting for you."
"But I don't love him," said Madeline. "I don't think I do. He barely knows me because I spit more than I speak."
"Ew," uttered Skye.
"I know."
"I don't get it. How can you be the girl who flirts so much to the girl who can't even speak?"
"I don't know. Maybe I'm losing my charm."
"But if you do that," started Lizzie, "then there's a high possibility of you not becoming a witch."
"So when you speak to Tony, nothing?" Debra inquired.
"Nothing," Madeline responded.
"Not a word?"
"Oh, one word: I. As in 'I' don't know what to do when 'I' don't know what to say because 'I' can't even say anything!"
"Calm down, hush puppy," said Skye, hovering her hand up and down over the table.
"Maybe you're not relaxed enough," added Debra. "Try breathing exercises before you speak to him."
"Breathing?" Madeline inquired.
"Yes, it helps control the rapid blood flow."
"It does?"
"I don't know. Just try breathing slowly."
Madeline closed her eyes and began to slowly inhale and exhale.
"There you go."
"Wow, you're like a wizard," said Andrea.
"Maybe the charm is going to you, Debra," Lizzie jumped in.
Madeline continued to inhale and exhale. "I feel totally calm." she whispered.
Soon, she heard a boy's voice. "Hi, Madeline."
Madeline turned her head and once she caught a glimpse of Tony, she uttered an unusual, indistinct sound. She began to giggle nervously, turning into uncontrollable sputtering by a few seconds. Feeling embarrassed, Madeline slid from her seat under the table as she silenced herself.
Tony had a blank expression on his face. "Okay, see you later." He walked off to his chosen seat in the cafeteria.
"Wow, it's more worse when you witness it," stated Skye.
Lizzie leaned forward to the spacing of the table to look at Madeline. "He's gone now."
Madeline climbed back up onto her seat. "Oh, finally," she said out of breath.
"You must really like him," said Debra.
"I don't know what to do about it," Madeline said, almost in a whiny voice.
"We can convince him to wear a mask," Lizzie insisted.
"He's not going to wear a mask."
"It would be worth the try. Just a Jim Carrey mask."

No comments:

Post a Comment