Monday, October 13, 2014

Tongue-tied (Chapter 3)

A few days after, the end of the school day came and Debra closed her locker as she got out her peace-sign-patterned backpack. When she kneeled down to pick it up, she was approached by Lizzie.
She got up with her backpack strapped on and spotted Lizzie. "Oh, hey, Liz'. I don't usually see you on this time of day."
"Really?" Lizzie inquired. "What time is it?"
"It doesn't matter. So what's the goose on the moose?"
"Huh?"
"What's up?"
"The goose? Oh! I have an idea for something."
"Interesting. What is it?"
"Well, since Madeline gets nervous around her crush, Tony--"
"Terribly."
"Yeah, terribly. I thought maybe we should set them up on a date."
"How is Madeline going to ask out Tony without bursting into flames?"
"I said we should set them up on a date."
"Oh, neat idea. But how is that going to work?"
"We go up to Tony and tell him that Madeline wants to meet up with him for dinner. Then we tell Madeline that I'm having a slumber party at this specific location. But actually, we will set up a dinner table at this location with candles and music and lock Maddie and Tony in it so they will be forced to have a normal conversation."
"Huh. That sounds like a good idea."
"Does it? I also have a Plan B, which is hypnosis. I bought a kit and everything, only for two ninety-nine."
"Yeah, we'll stick to the first plan."
"Okay."
"What location would this take place?"
"At my house. See, my parents cleared out the den in my house and it's the perfect space to have dinner in."
"So we're going to use a den in your house for a romantic date without your parents' permission?"
"Oh, no. My parents said I could do whatever I want with that room until they get new furniture for it. I was thinking about using it as a playpen."
"Oh, for your baby cousins or something like that?"
"No."
"Okay. Um, we can start this plan?"
"Tomorrow. The sooner the better."
"We got to tell the other girls."
"Right on."
The girls began to walk down the hallway together.
"So what kind of music were you thinking to use?" asked Debra.
"Oh, there's this guy named D'Angelo. I don't really listen to him and I saw this one video and I was like, 'Why not a chance?'"

The next day, during the transition to period three, Lizzie and Debra talked to each other about what they wanted to do. As they did, they found Tony walking down the hall pass them. Debra parted away from Lizzie and approached Tony.
"Hey," she called.
Tony stopped and turned around. Debra also stopped. "Hi," he greeted.
"I'm Debra."
"Tony."
"Oh, I know. You know my friend, Madeline?"
"Perhaps, I do."
"What do you think of her?"
"She's sweet, but kind of--"
"A spaz."
"I wouldn't say that."
"But you would. Anyway, word on the street is she likes you."
"Really?"
"Yeah. Do you like her?"
"Of course."
"Great to hear! She wants to go to dinner with you."
"With me?"
"Yes-a-rooni."
"That's a bit forward, but alright."
"You agree?"
"Yeah."
"Bingo! But she doesn't want to go to a restaurant."
"She doesn't."
"No, she felt more comfortable eating at a friend's house."
"That's a bit weird."
"Well, so is she."
"That's true. I'm down."
"Great-dinsky!
"I see you like to make up words."
"I do what I do."
"What's the address?"
"Oh, it's all inside this paper." Debra handed Tony the little piece of paper that she was holding in her hand.
"Thank you very much. I can't wait to see Madeline."
"I bet you can't. See you later."
"See you."
The two parted ways with Tony going to class and Debra walking with a waited Lizzie.
"He ain't all that," Debra said.

No comments:

Post a Comment