Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Dibs! (Chapter 2)

The next day, Madeline was at the school library along with her history class as her teacher brought them there to check out history-related books to help them write their upcoming essay. Once she arrived at the library, she noticed that the new kid was in there as well. She was confused yet she did not care as she wanted to flirt with the boy. When the teacher instructed the students to look for books, Madeline went after the unnamed boy.

She walked up behind him while he gazed upon the top of one of the book shelves. "Hi," she garnered his attention.

"Hi," the boy smiled.

"I'm Madeline," she held her hand.

The boy shook her hand. "I'm Bret."

"Nice to meet you."

"You, too."

"You have such strong hands."

"Excuse me?"

"Sorry, it was a compliment."

"Oh, then, thank you."

"Anytime. What are you looking for?"

"I just saw a book that said, 'The Best Marauders' that I want to get because it relates to my given topic."

"Ooh, pirates. I have a topic, too, that I should be working on but I'm interested in helping you with your topic."

"Oh, are you smart?"

"The smartest."

"I like smart girls."

"I know all of the presidents of the United States."

"Interesting."

"Try remembering them."

Bret chuckled.

"How long have you been in Laguna High?"

"About two days. I wasn't in this class yesterday because my alarm clock and I ended up arriving a couple hours late."

"Oh, late on the first day of school?"

"Yeah, I'm pretty much a bad boy."

Madeline giggled. "Do you want me to get your book for you?"

"No, thanks. I'm tall so there's a possibility I can reach it."

"But I would be nothing but glad to get your book."

"Okay. Thanks."

Madeline giggled again before reaching for the requested book. She made a straining sound with her mouth as she made a few attempts to get the high-shelved book. She turned around and spotted the person in front of her sitting in a chair by a table.

"Eleanor, I need your chair," she said, pulling the chair from the girl's bottom, almost making her tumble.



On the same day, Lizzie noticed Bret in her physics class when she turned her head from her seat and saw him sitting in the back row of desks. She smiled to herself as she planned to make an attempt of talking to him. Her teacher was out so a substitute filled in for him. So the instructions given to the class were to take notes about an upcoming subject. When the students were told to get textbooks from the back cabinets, Lizzie got up once she saw Bret get up.

She approached him from behind. "Hi," she said with pep.

Bret turned around. "Hello."

"I'm Lizzie."

"I'm Bret."

"Ha, beat that, Maddie."

"What?"

"I meant cool name."

"Thank you. My mom thought of it first."

"Well, your mom sounds like a great woman."

"She is."

"So are you new?"

"Yeah. I was supposed to be here yesterday but I was late to class."

"Oh, did the teacher marked you absent?"

"I don't know."

"Because I know people get marked absent if they were at school on the very first day. But if you're new, there's probably nothing to mark, right?"

Bret chuckled bashfully. "I guess."

"Then you're off the hook. How lucky are you?"

"Very."

"Yeah!"

He chuckled again, this time a little less bashfully. "You're funny."

"I hope so! Hey, do you want me to help you take notes? I know stuff."

"Sure. Why not?"

"Good to hear because when I would ask people that, they always had reasons for why not."

No comments:

Post a Comment