Friday, October 3, 2014

Have Fun Working at the Mall (Chapter 3)

Two days later, Madeline made a trip by herself at the mall. She thought if she can get a job, she should do it all by herself. She stopped by a store called "The Pink Tee". She noticed that it did not have many customers as the other stores in the mall. She decided to walk in and immediately fell in love with the scenery, which mostly consisted of the color pink.
"Welcome to the Pink Tee," said the brunette employee behind the counter. "May I help you?"
"Um, yes," Madeline answered. "Are you hiring?"
"Of course. I'm the only person who works here."
"Really?"
"Yes. Isn't it obvious?"
"Yes."
"I know. And since I was the only one working here, I've been made manager."
"Cool."
"Isn't it? But I do get lonely sometimes."
"Oh, I'm sorry."
"It's okay; I have a boyfriend at home."
"Cool... again. So you said you're hiring?"
"Yeah; if you want to work here, you have to make an appointment for an interview."
"Okay, shall I make an appointment?"
"Sure." The employee bent down and picked up a clipboard with a yellow paper clipped on it. She sat it on the counter and picked up the pen attached to it by a string. "How about now?"
"My appointment? Now?"
"Yes. Unless you have something better to do."
"Well, I do but I can make an appointment for now."
The employee scribbled on the paper. She bent down again and pulled out a packet of paper which she sat down on top of the clipboard. "Okay, let's start this interview." She picked up her pen to get ready to write down answers. "What's your full name?"
"Madeline Louise King."
"I call you 'Mad King'."
"Ooh, royal."
"How old are you?"
"Sixteen and three quarters."
"Writing 'sixteen'. What is your nationality?"
"Why does that matter?"
"So I know you're not a Nazi."
"You sound like my dad. I'm Canadian; on the French part, of course. Je parle francais et anglais avec un peu de--"
"Yeah, I don't know what you're saying. But since you speak French, I'll write that down. How many jobs have you had?"
"Zero. I used to find them disgusting. But that changed."
"Okay, do you have any criminal records?"
"No, but I think I know a friend who has some."
"Fun. What are your abilities?"
"I can speak people down."
"What does that mean?"
"It is sort of like winning an argument."
"I win arguments all the time with my boyfriend."
"Sweet. I am also good at persuading and not just good, really good."
"That's really good to hear. Have you ever been expelled from school?"
"Good heavens, no. Perfect attendance."
"Okay."
"Should I bring in my report cards?"
"You have them with you?"
"No but I kept all of them."
"Let me guess: you get straight A's.
"All the time."
"Nice to hear. Do you have any tattoos that I should know about?"
"Why do tattoos--"
"Just answer the question!"
"Okay! No, I don't have any tattoos and I don't plan on getting any because I heard they hurt and I can't handle hurt."
"Okay, that is the whole interview."
"Really?"
"Yes; I'll let you know if you got the job in three seconds."
Madeline awkwardly waited for three seconds to go by.
"Okay, you got the job."
Madeline gasped. "Really?"
"Uh, yeah."
"Man, that was easy. When do I start?"
"Now."
"Now?"
"Yes. I will give you your Pink Tee shirt and your shift will start right after that. By the way, my name is Penelope."
"Penelope, we're moving way too fast."

No comments:

Post a Comment