Thursday, October 23, 2014

Dirty Little Secret (Chapter 5)

A couple of days after, the girls met up with each other at the cafeteria for lunch time. As they chatted and ate lunch, the Cow Belles entered the cafeteria and started to feel uncomfortable when a bunch of people there stared at them and laughed. The Belles looked at each other in confusion and walked up to the quintet's table once they spotted them.

"What did you do?" asked Pamela.

"Why do you assume we did anything?" Madeline turned around.

"Everybody is looking at us weird," said Mauricia.

"Tell us what you all did," Pamela demanded.

"What I did was put a story in the newspaper," said Madeline.

"You put us in the newspaper again?" asked Mauricia.

"Well, everybody seemed to like your last story. I thought I ask my friend, Calvin, to put another one in."

"And what story is it?" asked Pamela.

"Check for yourselves," said Skye, pulling out a newspaper.

Mauricia snatched the newspaper from Skye and opened it up. "We're under the 'Continued Liars' list?"

"Yep," answered Madeline. "Turns out Pamela stole your lucky sweater and never told you about it because we messed it up with permanent marker."

Mauricia gasped.

"It was an accident," said Pamela quickly. "I swear."

"How can you do this to me?"

"Yes, how can she do that to you?" Madeline inquired. "But you're no angel either as Pamela thought her dog died from natural causes. But actually, you ran it over with your car."

Pamela gasped. "You killed Mister Fuzzles?"

"How did you know that?" Mauricia asked Madeline.

"I had my spies follow you and eavesdrop your individual conversations," answered Madeline. "And when I say 'spies', I mean my friends."

"I got to wear a black jacket," Lizzie happily commented.

"Hurts when your secrets are out, doesn't it?"

The Cow Belles turned to each other and started arguing. They shouted at each other in an overlapped way while walking away from the girls.

"We are bad," said Andrea.

"Yes, we are," Madeline said. "Now they know how it feels."

"It was kind of mean what we did," said Debra.

"Yeah, but they're mean, too. We're a seven; they're a ten."

"I thought I was a ten," said Lizzie. "Actually, I gave myself a nine. My skin's not glowy enough."

"The school needs to monitor their newspaper," noted Skye.

"I agree," said Madeline. "But not right now, of course."

"You know what?" started Debra. "I'm glad that our secrets are out."

"Why?" asked Andrea.

"Because now we know what we didn't, we can finally move on. We don't have to hide who we are. Plus, it gives us something to talk about and laugh at in the future."

"You're right," agreed Lizzie. "And since everybody knows I wear Secret Extensions, I can show my real hair so it's not a big deal anymore." She stuck her hand in the side of her hair and pulled away a long piece of elastic with long, dark hair attached to it. She revealed her new hairdo, which was a choppy look with unevenly sized locks.

The girls looked at her with different expressions on each of their faces, mostly sharing shock.

"Lizzie, I love you," said Madeline, "but when you said it was bad, I didn't know it was that bad."

"So should I put my hair back on?" asked Lizzie.

"Yes, please."

"You're beautiful just the way you are," said Debra. "But that is one haircut-gone-wrong."

Lizzie applied the elastic of hair back on over her real hair. She combed the hair with her fingers to make it blend in. "I probably wasn't going to go through with it anyway."

"I wouldn't," said Andrea. "And I'm sorry that I tried to hit you with a bat the other say. I wasn't really going to hit you. I was just going to rub your face with it to intimidate you."

"Whether you would have hit or not, I was already intimidated. But I accept your apology."

"I would have never hit you."

"It's okay. We're like sisters and sisters hurt each other all the time so it's not a big deal."

"Where did you get your extensions anyway?" asked Madeline. "I could really get into that."

"What kind of name is Mister Fuzzles?" Skye asked, mostly to herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment