Saturday, October 11, 2014

Tongue-tied (Chapter 1)

One day, a school day, Madeline was learning in the classroom of her physics class. As she took notes from the chalkboard, the teacher made an announcement.
"Okay, class, now that you got filled in on today's subject, we can begin with the experiments so partner up and find a station."
The students of the class scooted their chairs and scrambled around the classroom, looking for the people that they wanted to partner up with it. Once Madeline was done taking her notes, she got up and walked a curve in the room, heading towards a Caucasian girl with strawberry-blonde hair.
"Hey, Samantha," greeted Madeline.
"Hey," the girl greeted back.
"So you want to be partners?"
"No can do."
"No can do?"
"Regina already asked me to be partners and I said yes."
The girl standing next to Samantha waved awkwardly at Madeline.
"What is this?" questioned Madeline. "Third grade? We're usually partners."
"I'm sorry. She asked me."
Samantha and Regina began to walk away.
"Don't walk away," Madeline called. "I'm important, too."
Madeline looked around the room and could not find anybody who was by themselves. So she approached the teacher's desk.
"Mister Cunningham, I do not have a partner," she said.
"Oh, I'm sorry," the teacher responded. "I thought I counted the number of students present to an even number."
"Well, people sometimes miscalculate."
"Don't worry. I'll find you a partner."
"Thank you very much."
The teacher got up from his chair and scanned the entire classroom.
"Hey, has anybody seen Tony?" he asked out loud.
"You let him use the bathroom, old man," responded a male student.
"Thank you, Phillip." He walked over to Madeline. "I see the problem: one of the students here went to the bathroom. When he comes back, he will become your partner."
"Okay, I can live with that," said Madeline.
"So prepare your station for the both of you."
"I can't live with that but I'll do it anyway."
Madeline turned and walked towards an empty counter that she spotted earlier. She kneeled down and opened the cabinets of the counter. She pulled out two safety gloves and two pair of safety goggles and placed them on top. She closed the cabinets and picked up one of the goggles to put them on. During, one of the classroom's doors opened and entered a handsome boy with short brown hair, brown eyes, and a green-striped sweater.
"Tony," the teacher caught his attention, "we're doing a motion experiment and I need to be partners with Madeline."
Tony handed Cunningham the bathroom pass from his hand. "Okay, I'm cool with that."
"Madeline, your partner, Tony, is coming to your station," Cunningham shouted.
Madeline turned around. "Awesome. Now I--" She uttered an indistinct sound and started to cough violently. The sudden movements she made made her goggles fall down to her neck.
Tony walked up to Madeline. "Hi, are you okay?"
Madeline nervously giggled. Then her giggles turned into sputtering. After several seconds, she stopped herself.
"Um, do you have a cold?" he asked.
Madeline, with her mouth closed, tittered as a response.
"Okay, well, my name is Tony. You must be Madeline."
Madeline interlocked her fingers together from her back. She continued to titter with her mouth closed.
"So let's get to the experiment."
Madeline droned with an awkward smile.
Tony walked next to Madeline from her right and put on the goggles and gloves. Madeline did the same only with the gloves.
"I'm getting a feel that you've never seen me before," said Tony.
Madeline didn't respond. She tried to look away.
"I'm not new or anything but I did switch classes. I accidentally got put into an honors class. I was supposed to take an AP class so here I am."
Madeline nodded.
"I love physics. Probably because I'm good at it. Not that I'm bragging. You're probably better at it than me."
Madeline tittered inside her mouth. She turned her head to look at Tony but then started to cough again.
"I'm sorry but are you sick?" Tony asked.
"Mm-mm," Madeline hummed while shaking her head.
"Do you need some water?"
Madeline shrugged but then nodded her head.
"I have some water in my backpack if you want some."
Madeline finally opened her mouth, letting out a single chuckle. But she began to sputter and cough uncontrollably. She covered her mouth quickly with her hand.
"Listen, I'm worried," Tony admitted. "Do you need to go to nurse? Because I will tell Mister Cunningham to report you to the nurse if you want."
Madeline tried to speak but her words were muffled from her covering her mouth.
"Mm-mm. Mm mmm, mm-mmm um mm mmm."
"I'm guessing no?"
Madeline uttered a small, muffled giggle.
"So if it's okay with you, we can start the experiment."
Madeline nodded.
Tony gave her an awkward smile before focusing on the little contraption on top of the counter.
Madeline uttered a sigh of distress into her hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment