Monday, June 30, 2014

Who Needs a Driver's License? (Chapter 2)

The next day, Lizzie arrived to the cafeteria for lunch late, making her friends wonder where she were. She came late because of taking her driving test earlier before.
As soon as she sat down in her spot at the table, Andrea said, "Hey, Lizzie, where were you?"
"I was taking my driving test," Lizzie replied.
"Oh, yeah," said Madeline. "How was it?"
"Awful."
"Awful?"
"I failed."
"Whoa, why?" inquired Skye.
"Well, the man examining me said that I passed two stop signs, ran a red light, did an illegal U-turn, didn't turn on my light when I left-turned, text while I drove, didn't use my mirrors properly and backed up into a person's license plate."
The girls paused towards her response.
"So you did nothing?" Madeline said.
"Maddie," Debra started.
"Okay, you did everything."
"At least you didn't run over any pedestrians," said Skye.
"Actually, I almost did that," Lizzie added.
"You're making things worse, Lizzie."
"This is all your fault, Maddie," said Andrea.
"What?" Madeline scrunched her forehead. "How is it my fault?"
"You got her hopes all high for nothing."
"It's called 'encouragement'."
"It's called 'discouragement'."
"That doesn't make any sense."
"I know but I tried."
"I can't believe I failed my test," said Lizzie. "I know that red means stop, yellow means slow down, and green means go. But I don't know how to drive a car. Since when did driving become important?"
"Ever since people started getting jobs," Skye responded.
"Well... at least I was right," said Andrea.
"Andrea," started Debra.
"Debra," Andrea mocked.
"Don't worry, Lizzie," said Madeline, patting Lizzie's back. "You can take another test. And pass that... once you learn how to drive."
"What if I never learn how to drive?" asked Lizzie. "My parents refuse to help me. I may never learn how to drive."
"You can watch some online videos about how to drive," recommended Debra. "You can watch them forever."
"You know any websites?"
"Heck no. I ain't going to drive anytime soon."
"What if they don't help me? What if I never know?"
"I can help you," insisted Skye.
"Help me with what?"
"Driving."
"You're willing to do so?"
"Yeah, I have my driver's license and before getting it, I passed my one and only test. So I don't mind trying to teach you."
"Oh, thank you, Skye!"
"Skye, are you sure you want to teach her?" asked Andrea. "She almost ran people over."
Lizzie grew a tiring look on her face.
"Hey, I don't believe she's that bad of a driver," said Skye. "I mean I believe she's a bad driver. I'm just saying she's probably not that bad of a driver."
"Oh, I think she's that bad of a driver," Andrea commented.
"Listen, if any of you girls want to help me--" said Lizzie before being interrupted by the girls disagreeing openly with that idea.
"I don't want to die," Madeline had the last word.
"Okay, then. Skye is going to help me."
"I don't care how long it will take," said Skye. "But once we're through, you will be driving as smooth as butter. Sounds corny but I had to go for it."
"When do you want to start?"
"We can start tomorrow since it will be a weekend."
"If something happens to you two tomorrow," started Andrea, "I promise that I will send a 'Get Well Soon' card."
"Andy, Lizzie will do fine. I'm smart and I know what I'm doing."
"So you know what you're doing now?" asked Madeline.
"Yes, smarty. Girls, none of you never have seen Lizzie drive so she's probably not as worse as she say."
"'Probably'."
"Words are words so her driving's possibly has a lot of flaws. But I got this. You're going to be a good driver, Lizzie."
"Thanks, Skye High," grinned Lizzie.
"I believe you're going to be a great teacher, Skye," remarked Debra.
"Thank you, Debbie," Skye responded.
"Possibly not enough to not be Lizzie's road-kill," said Andrea.
"Red," Lizzie uttered.
Andrea paused. "What?"
"Red."
"Red?"
"Yeah."
"What do you mean by 'red'?"
"Red means stop."

No comments:

Post a Comment