Thursday, June 12, 2014

Number Six (Chapter 5)

The week after, the girls assembled as usual for lunch in the cafeteria as it started. Madeline started off the conversation to make things less weird between the girls and Lizzie. However, Lizzie did call the girls over the weekend to tell them what happened to her.
"The last time, I went to the mall," Madeline started, "I saw these pair of socks I thought that were cool."
"How cool were they?" asked Skye.
"Pretty cool."
"Cool."
"Guys, I'm sorry," said Lizzie.
"Why are you sorry?" questioned Madeline. "We're the ones who should be sorry."
"But I yelled at you and that's bad."
"You had the right to yell. We were acting like jerks."
"It wasn't your fault the girl was a bag of nuts," said Skye.
"I know," said Lizzie. "But I'm still sorry. You guys just didn't want to lose a friend."
"But we shouldn't have been selfish at all," said Madeline. "If you want a new best friend, then we should you let go."
"I don't need a new best friend." Lizzie put her arm around Madeline's shoulders. "You were my first best friend. All of you girls are my best friends."
The girls smiled.
"Aw!" uttered Debra. "We're back together."
"So what happened to Giselle?" asked Skye.
"She got suspended," answered Andrea.
"Yeah, suspended as in 'not expelled'," said Lizzie. "Which means she could come back, which means she could go after me again, which means I'm going to die."
"If she's going to hurt you," said Andrea, "she has to go through me."
"What were you doing before you saved Lizzie?" Debra asked.
"Mister Himelfarb wanted to give me detention and to not get detention, I convinced him that I should sweep his classroom."
"Why did you almost get detention?" asked Madeline.
Andrea sighed. "I was putting my gum under my desk."
Debra groaned.
"I didn't feel like throwing it away."
"So you were going to come back for it?" Madeline questioned.
"Let's not talk about it, okay? The point is that I was sweeping Himelfarb's classroom and I heard a ruckus. So I went over to the sound and I whacked Giselle in the head when I saw her."
"Since when do you say 'ruckus'?" asked Skye.
"Since yesterday so be proud of me."
"Can you imagine what would have happened if Andrea wasn't there?" Madeline groaned.
"I can't imagine wearing my shoes backwards," said Lizzie.
"That's happened to you, too?" asked Debra.
"I'm glad to be friends with all of you. I never realized how much you guys love me. But now, it's going to be harder to make friends. Being choked is not fun."
"It was never fun," said Madeline.
"You're stuck with us forever," Skye joked.
"And I don't mind," Lizzie giggled.
"We got your back," said Andrea. "If Giselle comes back and tries to do anything, I can just get the broom again."
"I didn't know it was impossible to knock someone out with a broom," said Debra.
"It's possible when you're me."
"We promise to never be selfish ever again," said Madeline.
"We'll just mask it," added Skye. "And Madeline will be a pro at doing that because she's an actress."
"An aspiring actress. But I'm flattered."
"Depending on what the matter is," said Lizzie, "I think that's really helpful. And I thank you for being honest."
"Not a problem."
"Uh, girls?" Debra inquired while digging into her fringe tote bag.
The girls laid their attention upon Debra.
"Do you know what this is?" She took out a torn and taped photo of Giselle and Lizzie, similar to the one Lizzie saw last week.
Lizzie moaned in horror. "I've seen that before!"
"It's probably nothing," said Madeline, giggling nervously. She then took out a banana from her lunch bag and paused. She slowly reached into her bag and pulled out a similar photo.
Lizzie moaned again.
"What the--" Skye started to digging into her jacket as something was bothering her. At the same time, Skye pulled out the exact photo from her jacket while Andrea pulled out the same thing from the back pocket of her jeans.
Lizzie moaned once more.
"Oh, my god, Lizzie, there's something in her shirt," said Madeline, spotting a white corner sticking from the bottom of Lizzie's sweater.
"What?" Lizzie said, panicking.
Madeline pulled at the white corner, taking out the same photo.
The girls settled into shock and fright until Madeline said:
"I'm gonna go to the office."
All of the girls got up from the benches and agreed with no hesitation. They all grouped together and made their way, hastily, out of the cafeteria.
"I think we got voodoo on us," said Andrea.

No comments:

Post a Comment