Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Number Six (Chapter 1)

On a breezy afternoon, the school day had ended and the school library was open. Since it was, Lizzie decided to stop by to check out a book for an assignment in her English class. She went down an aisle called "Adventure" and walked slowly to observe all of the books on the shelves. As she became distracted by the many, colorful books, she accidentally bumped into a teenage girl, making the girl drop her books.
"Oh, sorry," said Lizzie. She bent down and picked up the three books. "I'm kind of clumsy," she added before handing the books to the girl.
The girl flipped her caramel-brown hair behind her shoulder before taking the books. "It's okay. I'm clumsy, too."
Lizzie chuckled.
"I like your outfit."
Lizzie looked down on her outfit which consisted of a white, cropped, flower-printed top with puffy, long sleeves and a canary-yellow miniskirt. "Gee, thank you. My parents don't know I'm wearing it."
"Because it's inappropriate?"
"I want to say yes but I don't find it inappropriate. My belly's got to breathe now and then."
"Agreed," the girl giggled. "I'm Giselle, by the way."
"I'm Lizzie. My real name is Elizabeth but I can legally go by Lizzie, too, so there's that."
Giselle giggled. "How come I don't see you at the library very often?"
"Do you go here everyday?"
"Yeah, it's like my second home."
"Is your first home full of books, too?"
"No," she giggled. "I just like to read. And explore."
"I like exploring. Not so much reading."
"Well, that explains it. What are you looking for?"
"I am looking for an interesting book to read for a book report. But right now, I don't see anything that looks interesting."
Giselle stuck out her left hand, which was holding a yellow book with a picture of a golden crown under the title. "How about this?"
"'Mrs. Princess'?"
"It's about a girl who is a princess and wants to become a normal girl. So she runs away and tries to attend school."
"And this is appropriate for an English class?"
"Yeah, this book won about three awards."
"An award-winning book? I think that's what my teacher intended for us to read. Plus, the cover is pretty so it has to be perfect for me." Lizzie received the yellow book and observed the cover more. "Wait, I can't take this book from you."
"Why not?"
"Because what if you want to read it?"
"I've already read it."
"Oh, yeah. You just told me the summary. Wait, does two sentences make a summary?"
"Possibly."
"Magical. Thank you so much."
"No problem."
"Hey, when do you have lunch at school?"
"Around eleven. Why?"
"You should hang out with me."
"Oh, really?"
"Yeah, you seem like a cool girl. With a nerdy sense in books."
"Thank you."
"We can just talk and eat. Oh, you should sit with me. I sit with my four best friends. Seems like a lot but it's not."
"Cool. I could really make some friends."
"You don't have any?"
"No, not really."
"Well, why?"
"I don't know. Who wants to be friends with a girl who hangs out at a library almost every day?"
"Uh, I do! Don't worry; my friends are the friendliest people you'll ever know. Except Andrea. She might be the fourth friendliest person you'll ever know. But she won't beat you up or anything."
"Awesome."
"Well, I'm going to go check out this book."
"Okay."
"I will see you tomorrow, Giselle. That's your name, right?"
"Yes, it is."
"Ah, I remembered. Next time, if I forget your name, I'll just think of Gisele Bundchen."
"That's fine by me."
"Plus, you look like Gisele Bundchen."
"Really? Thank you."
"You two don't look identical but you two do look very similar. You guys have the same similarities. It's very helpful, though, for me."
"Thank you... again! Do you know who you look like?"
"No, who?"
"Ashley Judd."
"Girl, I try."

No comments:

Post a Comment