Monday, June 9, 2014

Number Six (Chapter 4)

The day after, Lizzie was standing by the school building as it just ended, calling her friend, Giselle, on her cell phone. She and Giselle had made a plan to visit each other at a cafe after school so Lizzie decided to call her to see if they could walk together if Giselle haven't already left yet. Her phone rang in her ear but there was no answer. As she saw a girl walk by, she had to ask.
"Hey," Lizzie caught her attention.
The girl stopped and looked at her.
"Do you know Giselle Thompson?"
"I'm sorry?" the girl said.
"Giselle Thompson. She goes to this school. You know, hazel eyes, Caucasian, great sense of style, long brown hair like yours. Just more... neater."
"Yeah, thanks. You said Giselle Thompson?"
"Yeah."
"Are you friends with her?"
"Yeah, we're like best friends."
"Oh, no."
"What's-- What's wrong?"
"You're friends with Giselle Thompson?"
"Well, yeah. We've been saying her name enough to know she's my friend."
"Okay, I don't know you but it's better if you knew."
"Knew what?"
"I'm going to tell you: Giselle is crazy."
"Crazy? What do you mean?"
"You know, crazy. She's loony, psycho, cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs."
"Okay, there is no way that's true."
"Tell that to the girl with experience. I befriended Giselle when we were freshmen. She seemed like a cool girl who loved books and shopping. Then one random day, she turned on me. She thought I was going to dump her and not be friends with her anymore. So she tortured for almost a week; bad enough where my hair started to fall out. Thank goodness I didn't become bald. But my family had to file a restraining order against her. I forgot that she was still going to this school. And now, she has found another victim. If I were you, I'd run. I'd run before it's too late."
Lizzie laughed nervously. "You can't be serious. Giselle is much more sweeter and saner than that."
"I still get nightmares about her. I had to buy a teddy bear to hold onto while I sleep. And I'm sixteen!"
"But me and Giselle was going to get a Frappuccino later."
"Well, when you're not looking, she's going to put rat poison in your Frappuccino. And you're going to get butt-sick because you didn't listen."
Suddenly, Lizzie's phone rang. She saw Giselle's name on the screen and gasped. The girl looked at the phone, also, getting a stunned expression on her face. Lizzie clicked "Answer" on the phone and put it against her ear.
"Hello?" she said.
"Hey, Lizzie," answered Giselle.
Lizzie giggled nervously. "What's up, my girlfriend?"
"I see you called. I'm sorry I didn't pick up."
"Oh, that's all good in the neighborhood."
"So what did you call for?"
"I-- I was going to see if we could meet up before we go to the café. But if you already left school, that's fine."
"No, it's okay. I'm actually still in school."
"Really?"
"Yeah. Meet me in Room 305, okay?"
"Okay, Room 305."
"See you then."
"Okay, bye, Gissy."
Lizzie clicked a button on her phone to hang up.
"Wow," said the girl. "You're in some deep manure."
"What's your name, by the way?"
"Nuh-uh, I ain't telling you what my name is. I don't want Giselle after me."
The girl walked away, leaving Lizzie puzzled deep in her mind.

Lizzie opened the half-cracked door of Room 305 in the top level of the school. She peaked her head in then slowly entered. She noticed how dark it was in the small classroom and the only bit of light was seeping from behind the door.
"Giselle?" she called. "Giselle? Gissy? Is this the right room? It said '305' but it could've said '306'. I read fast. Giselle?"
Giselle peeled herself from the wall beside the door and closed it. "Hello, Lizzie."
Lizzie jumped and yelped. She turned around. "Oh, you scared me."
"I tend to do that."
"Okay. W-Why are we here? This class doesn't look like it's in session."
"I have to show you something." Giselle reached into the pocket of her jean skirt and pulled out what seemed like a folded piece of paper. She unfolded the paper, revealing two torn photos taped together. "Cool, right?"
Lizzie looked at the photo, seeing that it is a separated picture of her and a separated picture of Giselle stuck together. "That didn't happen. We-- We didn't take a picture together."
"I know. I made it. For us."
"Oh, this is just like the Roommate. Giselle, we need to talk."
"Are we officially BFFs now? Can we take our first official 'selfie'?"
"No and no. I think-- Maybe we should-- It's better if-- [sigh] We can't be friends anymore."
Giselle snared. "What?"
"Giselle, I heard from a What's-Her-Face that you tried to ruin her life. That's not cool. But we can give each other some occasional glances and 'Hi's' in the hall when we pass each other."
Giselle started to breathe heavily. "We're best friends, Lizzie. You said it yourself."
"Actually, you said that. I just nodded and hopped. I can still call you Gissy."
"You think that makes me feel better?"
"N-Not actually. I'm just afraid, alright?"
"Afraid? I'll show you afraid. We're going to be best friends forever and ever and ever and ever and ever!"
"That's a lot of 'ever's'."
"You want to leave me? You got to get through my hands."
"Mama mia."
Giselle wrapped her hands around Lizzie's necks and started to choke her. Lizzie held onto Giselle's arms and tried to make her let go, but she was too strong for Lizzie. She screamed as loud as she could, looking into Giselle's evil eyes.
"Please don't kill me," said Lizzie in a hoarse voice. "I want to have children to raise."
"Can't do anything," Giselle said with an evil smile. "You hear me?! You can't do anything!"
In an instant, a broom forcefully whacked Giselle on the head, making her quickly fall down. Her body laid unconsciously flat on the floor with Lizzie staring down at her, gasping for air.
"Andrea?" Lizzie looked up to her side.
Andrea held the broom over her shoulder. "It has just been revoked."
"Thank you so much."
"Aw, anytime. Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I think so. I can't believe that was the side of Giselle I never got to see."
"Well, you've only known her for, like, a week."
"Still, that was crazy."
"Look, me and the girls are sorry for even considering defriending Giselle."
"I guess that's okay. You guys just didn't want to lose your best friend."
Andrea smiled. "Well, let's go report the crazy girl and walk home." She walked around Giselle and lifted up her paralytic-like legs. "You grab her arms; I'll take the legs."
"No! Leave her!"

No comments:

Post a Comment