Saturday, June 28, 2014

Who Needs a Driver's License? (Chapter 1)

"I wonder what mulberry taste like," said Madeline, chewing on a blueberry from her container of blueberries.
"Mulberry?" Skye repeated.
"Yeah, mulberry."
"I bet it would taste like a berry," said Lizzie.
"Yeah, but does it have a specific taste?"
"I remember when I was a child," started Andrea, "and I received my first box of crayons. There was one crayon that said it was the color of mulberry. And it was a pink color so there is a possible chance that they could be sweet."
"But mulberry sounds like it would be tangy," said Debra. "Kind of a dirty taste."
"Then why would people eat mulberries if they taste like dirt?" asked Lizzie.
"I've heard if you smoke a lot, every food you eat will taste like dirt."
"That sounds disgusting," said Andrea. "But if you don't eat, you'll starve so there aren't any other choices."
"However, I don't see a lot of people eating mulberries," said Madeline, picking up another blueberry.
"You usually see people eating the most famous fruits like bananas and apples and oranges."
"And people are eating fruits that you would only hear on TV," added Debra, "like mangos and kiwis and pomegranates."
"Maybe there's a chance that mulberries are poisonous," said Skye. "If you don't see people eating them, then they are not something to eat."
"That does make sense," responded Madeline.
"We sound like old people," remarked Andrea.
Madeline chuckled. "No kidding. Let's talk about something that younger people talk about."
"Well, I'm getting my driver's license," Lizzie spilled.
"Get out of town," Debra responded.
"I can't do that unless I drive."
"That's great that you're getting your driver's license," said Madeline.
"Well, I am sixteen which the appropriate age to start driving."
"Yeah, I know. If you pass, you can get your own car and drive me to school."
"Please, Lizzie," said Andrea, leaning forward, " do us all a favor and pass that test."
"Don't you like driving, Andrea?" asked Lizzie.
"When it's under three minutes, yes, I do."
"I feel you, Andy," said Skye. "I passed my driving test a few months ago and got my driver's license. But I don't even drive."
"That's because you don't have a car," said Debra.
"No, it's because I don't want a car."
"Then what's the point of taking a driving test if you don't want to drive?" asked Madeline.
"In case of emergency."
"Oh, if, such as, someone were to force you to hijack a car?"
"Crap happens."
"I don't know how to drive a car but I think I would know if it were to come to that situation," said Debra.
"Gee, I hope I pass my test," said Lizzie. "What if I fail?"
"You're not going to fail," responded Madeline.
"But if you do fail," said Andrea, "that would be embarrassing."
"Don't listen to her, Liz'."
"Don't listen to me? I got my driver's license so I am full of los hechos."
"Yeah. Don't listen to her, Liz'. You're going to pass and I know it. Listen, do you have your learner's permit?"
"Yes," answered Lizzie.
"So you drive with your parents in the car?"
"Yes."
"Do they think you're a good driver?"
"I feel so."
"What do you mean, 'you feel so'?"
"Well, when I drive, they are usually screaming, 'We're gonna die!' or 'I just want to live!'"
Madeline paused. "Okay. That is nothing."
"What do you mean, 'That is nothing'?" inquired Andrea. "That means she can't drive, meaning her parents think she's going to kill them."
"See, parents say the darndest things all the time. They're ninety-nine percent right all of the time but maybe it is their way of encouraging Lizzie."
"They encourage Lizzie's driving by screaming for their life?" asked Skye.
"My parents encourage me in many ways," said Debra, "but they do not do that."
"Girls, we're supposed to make Lizzie feel confident about taking her driver's test," said Madeline.
"We can't make her feel confident if you're lying," said Skye.
"I am not lying. I am trying to feel Lizzie's head with good spirits because we are all best friends here."
"However, when my parents do scream, they take the wheel afterwards," added Lizzie.
"It's a challenge."
"It is not a challenge!" said Andrea.
"Okay, it's not a challenge but Lizzie, you are a great driver... probably. And we should make her feel confident about that."
"Lizzie, you're going to pass your driving test," said Debra.
"Thank you, Debbie," Lizzie responded.
"Lizzie, when your mind says, 'No, you can't'," started Skye, "tell your mind, 'Yes, I can'."
"Did you steal that from Obama?"
"No... I think. No."
"If you fail, Doll, then I was right," said Andrea.
"I appreciate your honesty," said Lizzie.
"See, Lizzie," said Madeline, "we got your back."
"Thank you, girls. Even if this comes with second thoughts, I need the motivation."
"We deeply hope you pass, Lizzie," said Andrea. "I dislike being the only one with a car."
"It's a nice car."
"Thanks but sometimes I wish it was a spaceship. Because I know you girls don't feel safe getting in a spaceship."
"I wouldn't mind being on a spaceship," Debra commented.
"Then I'm lucky that my car's not a spaceship, Debra."
"Or a yellow submarine," Skye joked.
Debra giggled. "I do like that song, though."
"When is the test?" asked Andrea. "Tomorrow?"
"Yep. If there's a wishing star tonight," started Lizzie. "I'm going to wish on it."
"I don't believe in wishing stars," said Skye.
"But why would they call it a wishing star if you can't make wishes on it, Skye?"
Skye stared at Lizzie for a while. "So every rich kid can go to Disneyland."
"I'm rich but I don't want to go to Disneyland," Madeline mumbled. "Lizzie, I do hope for the best for you. I really do."
"Thanks, Maddie," said Lizzie. "But if I don't pass my driving test, I'll always know one thing.
"What is the 'one thing'?"
"The taste of mulberries."
"And what would that be?"
"Death."

No comments:

Post a Comment