Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Who Needs a Driver's License? (Chapter 3)

The day after, during the weekend, Skye visited Lizzie at her house for their driving lesson. Before leaving, Lizzie asked her parents if she could borrow one of their two cars. They gave her approval and the two girls left with Skye driving the car. Lizzie put on different clothes in the car before Skye drove off. She drove Lizzie to a vacant, abandoned parking lot to begin the lessons in.
"This area looks scary," commented Lizzie, looking out the window.
"That's why I like it," Skye responded. "Plus, it's the perfect place to teach you how to drive."
"Well, if you say so."
Skye parked the car in a parking space at the edge of the lot. She and Lizzie got out of the car and walked around it in opposite directions with Lizzie getting into the driver's seat and Skye getting into the passenger seat. They closed the doors before Lizzie placed her hands on the steering wheel.
"Are you ready?" asked Skye.
"Yeah, prepared," replied Lizzie.
"Okay, I left the keys in the ignition as you see right there. What should you do first?"
"Turn them?"
"Yes."
Lizzie turned the keys, starting the car.
"There you go. Now we are going to get out of the parking space. What do you next?"
"Shift to reverse?"
"Yes. This is so easy. Now pull the lever next to you to 'Reverse'."
Lizzie looked at the lever. "I don't see 'Reverse'. Is reverse 'R'?"
"Yes, reverse is 'R'."
"Okay." She slowly pulled the gearshift lever to the position of R of the selector.
"Now push the gas pedal with your foot."
"Which one is the gas pedal?"
"The one on your right."
"Which way is my right?"
"Really? What are the two colors on your shirt?"
"Blue and green."
"Your right is where the green is facing."
"Oh, that right."
"Yeah. Now push the gas pedal that is on the right with your foot."
Lizzie pushed the pedal with her foot but too hard where the car drove back in a quick motion. The girls screamed until the car stopping by hitting the fence with a force to where the girls jumped out of their seats.
"Okay," said Skye, "you did that wrong. But before I claim what's wrong, I think you broke the back of your parents' car."
"Oh, no," said Lizzie. "Maybe we can pay to get it fixed."
Skye chuckled. "I ain't paying for crap."
"You're in this car, too, so it is technically our fault."
"You know what? It kinda is because I forgot to tell you to push the pedal slowly. But when you're speeding fifty miles per hour backwards, one should be encouraged to stop immediately."
"Uh, you never told me how to stop."
"And that is why you passed three red lights."
"It was one and two stop signs."
"Well, whatever. Let's just pull that lever from 'Park' to 'Drive' since you parked when we stopped. And then slowly push the gas pedal so we can drive slow."
"Okay." Lizzie pulled the lever to the D position. "'D' means 'drive', right?" she asked.
"Yes."
"Okay." She slowly pressed the gas pedal with her foot, making the car pull off nice and slow.
"Okay, okay. That's very good; I'm impressed."
"Thank you."
"Now we're going to make a right turn."
"The right turn is where the green on my shirt is facing, right?"
"Yes, yes. Now apply a little bit of pressure on the pedal as you spin the wheel to the right. And when--"
Lizzie pushed the gas pedal with her foot more harder than she was and spun the wheel quickly to the left, making the car crashed into the side fence.
"And when you do so, turn your right indicator on," Skye finished her sentence.
"I'm sorry."
"Please, don't tell me you're sorry. Tell your parents you're sorry. I can tell this car already looks beat up."
"I don't want to pay for the damages."
"Then stop crashing into the fences!"
"I know but when I drive, I get nervous."
"No wonder why you suck at driving. You're not supposed to be nervous. You're supposed to be focused, confident, prepared. You should've told me before I even talked."
"Sorry. I just thought your lessons would help chill me down."
"Well, water wouldn't even help chill you down. Listen, if you want to be better at driving, listen to me carefully."
"Okay, okay, I will."
"Now I want you to back up by pulling the lever to 'Reverse' -- A.K.A. 'R' -- and slowly pushing the gas pedal. Note: if you want to stop, press the brake pedal, the pedal on your left. If you don't know what your left is, it is where the blue on your shirt is facing. So back up."
Lizzie pulled the lever to the R position and lightly pressed the gas pedal with her foot, making the car slowly back up from the fence.
"Okay, okay. Now make a left turn by stopping -- brake -- and turn the wheel to the left -- blue -- as you press the gas pedal a bit harder. A bit."
"Okay." Lizzie, after backing the car up a bit, pressed the brake pedal with her left foot slowly. As she stopped, she continuously turned the wheel to the left while pressing the gas pedal with her right foot slowly. Successfully, the car turned to the left.
"Wow, that was very good, Lizzie. See, as long as you listen, you will be a pro."
"Yeah. To make a left turn: stop, left, brake."
"No, it's stop, left, gas."
"Gas?"
"Yeah, as in the gas pedal. And don't forget to stop."
"Stop is gas?"
"No, stop is brake. Try to remember."
"So it's stop, left, stop."
"No, gas is not stop. Gas is to go."
"Nervous!"
"What?"
Lizzie stepped on the gas pedal with a lot of force until the car hit the back fence.
"I'm sorry," she said.
She pulled the lever into reverse and stepped on the gas, causing the car to back up quickly. Forgetting how to stop, she kept turning the wheel to the right, making the car spin in many circles. The girls screamed with mercy as the car kept spinning and spinning in the center of the parking lot.
"We're gonna die! I just want to live!" Skye hollered.
The car kept spinning in numerous more circles until Skye reached for the gearshift lever and pulled it to 'Park', making the car stop.
The girls panted after screaming for a minute.
"That's it," said Skye. "Get out of the car. I am driving back to your house." She unfastened her seat belt.
"No!" replied Lizzie. "You're not done teaching me how to drive yet."
"Oh, I'm done. I'm not going to give up my life just because you don't know how to work the two freakin' pedals in the car!" She opened the door and hopped out of her seat. After slamming the door, she walked around the car and opened Lizzie's side of the door.
"No, I need to take my driving test again so I can pass," said Lizzie, gripping onto the wheel.
"Go to driving school," Skye growled, "because I'm not teaching you again." She unfastened Lizzie's seat belt and tried to pull her out of the car. "A monkey can drive better than you. No, Lindsay Lohan can drive better than you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment