Saturday, July 5, 2014

Who Needs a Driver's License? (Chapter 4)

After showing her parents how damaged their car was and having to start selling half of her belongings on eBay to make some money, Lizzie begged Skye to continue helping her how to drive. After three days of pleading, Skye finally agreed to help Lizzie with her driving. They decided to use the same parking lot for the lesson and rent a car to drive in courtesy of Skye. So after school, Skye drove Lizzie to the parking lot for her lessons.
"Okay, we're here," said Skye, taking off her seat belt. "To die."
Lizzie took off her seat belt. "We're not gonna die."
"If you say so," Skye said, sarcastically.
They both opened their doors and walked around the car to switch seats.
"You don't have to worry, Skye," said Lizzie, closing the door and putting on her seat belt. "I am less nervous than I was when you were teaching me."
"Let's depend on that," Skye mumbled.
Lizzie turned the keys in the ignition, starting the car. "Okay, teach away," she smiled as she gripped the steering wheel.
"Alright," Skye sighed. "Um, give the ride some gas. But before you do, pull the gearshift to 'Reverse' which is 'R'."
"Okay." Lizzie pulled the gearshift lever to the 'R' position of the selector. She pushed the gas pedal with her yellow boot covered foot, making the car back up slowly.
"Okay, okay," Skye said quietly. "Now make a left turn by turning the wheel to the left then pull the shift to 'Drive'."
Lizzie turned the wheel continuously to the left to make the car turn ninety degrees. Then she pulled the lever to 'Drive' and pushed the gas pedal to move forward at a normal pace.
"Wow, you're driving," Skye stuttered but in an impressed tone.
"Yeah, I'm driving."
"Okay, okay. Stop once you get near the fence in front of you."
Once the car drove close enough to the fence, Lizzie stepped on the brake pedal, making the car stop slowly.
"Oh, my God," said Skye, widening her eyes. "You stopped... without crashing into a fence."
"I know! Oh, I forgot to turn on my indicator for a left turn."
"Oh, that crap doesn't matter. Can-- Can you back up again?"
"Sure, Skye High." Lizzie adjusted her front mirror. She pulled the lever from 'Drive' to 'Reverse' and stepped on the gas pedal lightly. She backed the car up using the side mirror to look at the background.
"Once you get near the back fence, stop."
Lizzie drove back until she got near enough to the fence to which she stepped on the brake pedal and stopped the car.
"Oh, my Godzilla, Lizzie, you're driving. You were driving."
"I was! O.M.G.!"
"Where did you learn how to drive?"
"Oh, I bought this game called, 'Grand Theft Auto'. I pretty much mastered it by the second day of having it."
"Well, that's cool. You still not nervous?"
"No, I'm completely chilled. While playing 'Grand Theft Auto', I beat up some pedestrians. You know, released some aggression and I started to feel better afterwards."
"Did you use a baseball bat?"
"I did."
"That's pure therapy."
"Well, thanks to that, I think I'm ready to take a second driving test."
"At least you're in a good mood."
"Why? Are you sad?"
"Kind of. Remember Leo?"
"The dude who plays the sitar?"
"The guitar."
"The guitar."
"Yeah, he was in that band. I texted him a few days after meeting him. We had a full conversation throughout almost the whole day. Then when I texted him a couple days after, he didn't respond. Then the other days I tried to text him, he never responded."
"Aw, well, what is the first thing you say when you text him first?"
"'Hi'."
"Did you capitalize the 'H'?"
"Lizzie, I really liked him and I thought he liked me as well. So I don't understand why he's not talking to me."
"Well, if his reason is negative, then he's a jerk. You deserve so much better and besides, you've only known him for a few weeks and seen him in two days. Like what Swizz Beats said: 'Onto the next one'."
"You're right. That's very caring of you, Liz'."
"Well, I'm known for my care."
"I'm acting like such a girl."
"You are a girl."
"Yeah, but I'm, like, the coolest person out of our friends."
"I thought Andrea was the coolest."
"Whatever. Thank you so much, Lizzie."
"That is what best friends are for."
"So do you want to continue your lesson?"
"Yes but I'd rather do it tomorrow. I want to learn how to parallel park. Is that okay with you?"
"Well, I don't have any plans tomorrow so I'm okay with it. As long as I don't end up in a body cast afterwards."
"Don't worry; I'll just play 'Grand Theft Auto' again."
"Good. Make sure you buy the other ones."
"Okay."
"So you want to drive us out of here?"
"Sure!"
"And if you break this car, just know it's a rental so a lot of money would be coming out of you."
"Well, I don't want to sell my car but I will try to not break this car. I know what I'm doing now."
Lizzie turned the steering wheel continuously to the right and stepped on the gas pedal gently. The car made a U-turn in the center of the parking lot and Lizzie drove it out onto the deserted road and into the live street.
"And if we get pulled over," started Skye, "we can switch seats before the cop sees us. I have my driver's license with me." 

No comments:

Post a Comment