Sunday, July 20, 2014

Girls Like Nerds (Chapter 1)

After the bell rung to end fifth period, Madeline walked down the halls to go to the cafeteria for lunch. As she strolled while minding her business, she started to spot a tall boy walking in front of her yards away. She made up who he was instantly and tried to walk faster. The boy's name was Jackson, a player of the school's soccer team. Madeline had an infatuation with him for a couple weeks, admiring his full, brown hair, deep green eyes, and white smile. So she tried to speed up closer and closer to Jackson, passing every student in front of her smoothly, to talk to him.
Once Madeline got next to him, she said, "Jackson, hi."
Capturing his attention, Jackson responded, "Oh, hey, Madeline."
"Hi. Um, how was your day? Or how is your day if the feeling isn't changing."
"Um, I'm good."
"Just good?"
Jackson chuckled, exposing his straight, white teeth. "Yeah."
"Alright."
"Did you enjoy the soccer game yesterday?"
"Ooh, yes. Yes, I enjoyed it. I love... soccer."
"That's great to hear."
"Yeah, isn't it? Jackson, did you know that Galileo discovered that Jupiter had rings around it?"
"Not really."
"Well, he did. And he tried to tell other scientists that Jupiter has so but they thought he was nuts. You know, like what squirrels eat."
"Interesting."
"Yeah, it is."
"Did you learn that today?"
"Oh, no. I knew that forever."
"Well, at least I know now."
"Yeah, you do." Madeline started to giggle nervously. Quickly, she managed to calm herself down to finish speaking. "So... do you know what's coming up?"
"I don't know. Easter?"
"No, but what I'm talking about is Easter-related."
"I have no idea. What's coming up?"
"The thing that is coming up is the Easter dance."
"Oh, yeah."
"Uh-huh. Do you like to dance?"
"I love to dance."
"No way! Are you good?"
"Somewhat."
"Me, too! I mean I'm not the best dancer but I be ballin' on the dance floor."
"You don't say."
"I say. Are you going to go? You know, to the dance?"
"Yeah, I've been thinking about it."
"That's good because I'm thinking about going. But do you know what would make the best of a dance? A date! So you wouldn't mind going to the Easter dance with me, would you?"
"Oh."
"Yeah."
"Madeline, I'm flattered."
Madeline rolled her eyes playfully and flipped her long, wavy hair.
"But I have a girlfriend."
"Great, you can pick me up at-- What?" Her grin dropped down to a frown.
"I'm sorry; you're great but I'm dating Janine."
"But Sherry from chemistry class said you were single."
"What?"
"I said that's okay. I'm not fazed."
"Are you sure? You seem sweaty."
"Oh, I always sweat when I talk. So since Janine is your girlfriend, you have to take her to the dance?"
"That's pretty much how it works."
"No, I get it. I'll just ask someone else, you know? I know I'm beautiful."
"Thanks for understanding."
"Yeah, well, you're welcome."
"Good luck finding a date."
"Yeah, whatever."
"Hey, are you going to the next soccer game?"
"When is that?"
"By the end of the month."
"Oh, I can't make it. My mother is sick and she needs someone... to feed her."
"Wait, what?"
"See you in the next lifetime, Jackson."
Madeline sped away from her ending crush and made her way to the cafeteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment