Sunday, July 13, 2014

Say No to Drugs (Chapter 3)

One day, in the debate club after school, which Madeline attended, the club leader, which was teacher Miss Groundswell, set up a club activity for all of the members. She came up with the topic of flag desecration for the students to debate and she picked Madeline and a foreign boy named Dean to discuss their sides. The two each stood behind wooden podiums in front of the class and spoke away with their ideas.
"I get flag desecration is wrong," started Dean, "but if it's not to our real flag, it's not hurting anyone."
"But flag desecration means that you're against America," said Madeline. "And America is such a great place."
"Yeah, but it's not a great place to others. People are still mad about the wars."
"But the wars were many years ago."
"Exactly, so let's focus on many years ago: there were many angry civilians who felt like they were not heard."
"Yeah, but that doesn't mean they should burn our flags."
"Actually, first amendment means that you are free to do whatever you want."
"But fire is dangerous. People would've gotten killed."
"I think people got killed anyway."
"Either way, our flag is important to us Americans."
"But our flag is a sheet of patterns that we can all just make again."
"Hey, my mother always told me that first is perfect."
"Well, my mom told me second is best."
"Anyhow, our original flag isn't hung up presently which is smart."
"But that doesn't mean that people can't burn the fake flags."
"Burning a fake flag is like burning the real flag."
"Because of the intention?"
"Yes! If a country wants us to respect them, they should respect us."
"But the countries that are actually burning our flags, are they respected?"
"Well, I don't know what kind of countries that would be."
"And if a bunch of people are feeling the same way, then that country is obviously not being respected. Boom! I just won the argument."
"However--"
"Ugh!"
Madeline turned her head and snared at Dean. "However, America is a loving country so we got to respect all countries. Burning our flag is like smoking marijuana. It's part of America but abusing it would be wrong. It can cause sudden changes that will affect your life negatively. That is why things like that are illegal. It's because it will scar our lives if we have to face it."
"If America is so loving, why are there white cops beating black people for a long period of time?"
"You're not even black, Dean."
"But I feel the same."
"I actually like Madeline's argument," admitted Miss Groundswell.
"Thank you, Miss Groundswell," smiled Madeline.
"Madeline's side gets a point but I also like your way of thinking, Dean."
"Now that's what I'm talking about," Dean cheered.
The two teenagers sat down in their seats to listen to the next debate.

When the club ended and most of the members left, Madeline decided to approach the teacher.
"Hi, Miss Groundswell," Madeline greeted.
"Oh, Madeline," Groundswell looked up. "I loved your debate."
"Thanks; I'm full of opinions."
"So what did you come up for?"
"You were a nominee for Teacher of the Year, right?"
"That is correct. Just a nominee."
"Yeah, that means that the higher rank of the school will listen to you, right?"
"If I got something smart to say, yes."
"I was wondering, can you take some ideas?"
"Ideas of what?"
"Well, I've watching television on teen drug abuse and it really got to me. So I was wondering, can you convince the people in charge of the school programs to set up a program on marijuana smoking?"
"Marijuana smoking?"
"It's an important issue."
"Um, I don't know. Our school doesn't usually do smoking programs."
"I know. I know a guy who graduated Laguna Beach High and attended it for four straight years so he's been to the programs. And we do the same ones in a four-year pattern. Listen, I know we've already done our cyber-bullying program this year, but would another one in the same year hurt?"
"I suppose not. But I'm not sure if the school administration will actually hear me out on that."
"Oh, please, Miss Groundswell. This school really needs extra information on drugs."
"Do you know any information about drugs?"
"Yes, lots. But I'm smarter than fifty percent of the school. And I'm not saying that pretentiously. My friends told me that. They're awesome."
"Well, I like the brain in the head of your shoulders."
"Nice phrase."
"So I am going to talk to the administration about your program idea."
"Really? Oh, thanks, Miss Groundswell! And believe me, you are making a great decision."
"Okay, then. Oh, and I filmed some videos of past debates in this club starting from 2006. You want to see some?"
"No."
Madeline turned and walked away as quickly as she could out the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment