Friday, July 11, 2014

Say No to Drugs (Chapter 2)

Later that day, Madeline decided to not tell a teacher or a staff member that she witnessed three students smoking marijuana. She felt like she should do more than that. But to figure out what that would be, she need some help from her friends. So the next day, the girls met up at lunch at school just as usual.
"Can you girls smell me?" asked Lizzie.
The girls disagreed.
"Why?" asked Andrea. "Aren't you showering?"
"Of course I'm showering," said Lizzie. "I'm not a dog."
"But you do have dogs on your shirt," noted Skye.
Lizzie looked down at her shirt as if she forgot about it. "Either way. I'm sticking to my answer. I asked because I'm wearing a perfume that I haven't worn in four years. I think because of how old it is, the smell is wearing away."
"Don't you want to throw that out?" asked Madeline. "Old perfumes can mess with your skin."
"And sometimes the smell changes," added Andrea.
"Well, that sucks," responded Lizzie. "I was in the mood of smelling like pink grapefruit."
"Keep putting on that perfume and you'll be smelling like pink durian," said Skye.
"What's that?"
"A fruit that smells like feet."
"Gross."
"Yes, it is."
Madeline turned her head and tried to scan the whole cafeteria.
"Looking for something, Maddie?" asked Andrea.
Madeline turned her head back around. "Oh, nothing important. Actually something important. I'm seeing if there are any teachers around."
"Why?" asked Debra. "Did a teacher slap you?"
"No."
"I've heard that's happening in schools lately."
"Well, it didn't."
"Then why do you want to see if a teacher is around?" asked Lizzie.
"Well, I saw these teens smoking pot by the school."
Debra gasped.
"Smoking pot?" repeated Andrea.
"That's terrible," said Skye.
"Maybe they were cooking," Lizzie insisted.
Madeline squinted her eyes. "What?"
"You said you saw these teens with smoking pots. That just means they're cooking."
"Lord, tell me she isn't serious," Andrea said to herself.
"No, Dolly," Madeline shook her head. "I said I saw them 'smoking pot' meaning they were smoking drugs."
"Oh!" Lizzie came to realization. "That makes sense. Smoking pot? That's terrible."
"What did you do?" asked Skye. "Did the people see you?"
"Yes, they did," answered Madeline. "They kept smoking their drugs while I was talking to them."
"Talking to them?" said Andrea. "Why would you talk to them?"
"So they can understand the significance of not doing drugs."
"Mads', you're such a priss," Lizzie snickered.
"So what happened after you talked to them?" asked Skye.
"They were making jokes and sticking to their activity," replied Madeline.
"Don't you watch TV, Madeline?" asked Andrea. "Talking to potheads is like talking to a brick wall."
"How?" asked Lizzie. "Potheads don't talk?"
Andrea grew a blank expression on her face.
"Did you tell a teacher or the principal or something?" Skye asked.
Madeline sighed. "No."
"No? Why no?"
"Because my mother would always tell me, 'Snitches get stitches'."
"Remember the old saying, also, 'Potheads make potheads who get suspended'."
"Who says that?" asked Lizzie.
"Me. I just made that up."
"Guys, I want to tell," said Madeline, "but if they get in trouble, that's not going to stop them from smoking."
"Please, you probably got a whiff of the smoke and now you're hooked," said Skye.
"Skye, I would never do drugs if they were to save a life."
"That's weird that you said so," Debra said. "People always think that I'm on drugs. I think it's probably from how calm am I."
"I'm not going to lie, Debbie," started Andrea, "but when I met you, I thought you were baked."
"What should I do, girls?" asked Madeline.
"What you should do?" repeated Skye. "What are the students going to do? What if they get caught and drag you to the mud?"
"I'm not getting dragged into mud. I'm wearing silk. Plus, they don't know my name."
"But they've seen a picture," said Debra.
"Girls, those flight-on-wheels aren't going to get Maddie in trouble," said Andrea. "There are a million blue-eyed, blonde-haired girls who go to this school. Plus, you can't remember things correctly if you were high."
"That kind of makes sense," said Debra. "How do you know, Andrea?"
"I watch TV. And I go on the Internet. Also, I did a science project on marijuana."
"Did you get an A?" asked Madeline.
"No."
"What are 'flight-on-wheels'?" Lizzie asked.
"Another thing I made up. It's my way of saying, 'People who smoke pot'."
"Well, whatever you do, Maddie," started Skye, "I hope it's the right choice. But knowing that there are students smoking drugs beside the school can kind of escalade a little quicker than you wanted it to. And, hey, I don't want to get suspended because I've known as well just by hearing about it."
"I don't want to get suspended, either," said Debra.
"I promise, girls, I will figure out a way to make this all better," said Madeline, "and no one will get suspended."
"How 'bout expelled?" corrected Andrea. "I mean drugs are pretty serious."
"We're not doing drugs," said Lizzie.
"But it will sound like it."
"I know," said Madeline. "I just need to come up with a plan to make those people stop smoking and not get us all expelled."
"You should've kept it to yourself," said Skye, almost in a mumble. "Would've made our lives much better."
"Maddie, if you get me suspended or expelled," started Andrea, "I will skin you like a whale."
"People skin whales?" questioned Lizzie.
"Yeah, let's go with that."   

No comments:

Post a Comment