Friday, March 18, 2016

The Ex Games (Chapter 4)

For at least an hour and a half, Terry and Homer competed against each other in a series of carnival games. They played games like Skeeball, Whac-A-Mole, and Basketball. Homer was trying to prove that he was better than Madeline's "ex", Terry, while Terry just wanted to partake in some games.  No matter what game they played, Terry won every single one, causing frustration in Homer. Madeline and Gary followed the boys to wherever they went; Madeline started to feel bad for Homer and at the same time, irritated. Feeling like she needed some type of closure, Madeline decided to have a talk with Terry. She let Homer know and he distanced himself away from the two, standing by Gary.
"Thank you for the teddy bear," said Madeline. "I already have some at home but I'm still thankful."
"I'm glad you like it," nodded Terry. "A bear for a 'bear-y' special girl."
Madeline giggled. "Terry... you know I'm with someone, right?"
"Oh, yeah. His name is Homer, right?"
"Yeah."
"He seems a bit uptight."
"Trust me, I just found this out."
"Why is he so competitive?"
"I don't know. He doesn't Tebow when his lacrosse team loses a point."
"You shouldn't be with someone like that."
"Because you want me to be with you?"
"I mean, yeah. Madeline, I like you."
"And I like you, too. Well, I used to like you."
"Oh."
"I didn't mean it like that. I like you, just not in that way."
"No, I get it."
"I'm sorry. But I really did like you. I really did."
"Enough with the past tense."
"I hope we can still be friends."
"I guess I would like that. No matter what we are, Madeline, you'll always be a pretty lady."
"I know." Madeline grinned.
Terry chuckled. "But if Homer does anything to hurt you, call me, okay?"
"Okay. Well, I'm actually gonna call my girlfriends first. But when I do that, I'll call you."
"I'll take it."
        "I can still keep the teddy bear, right?"
        "Oh, definitely. Besides, why would a grown boy like me want to keep a teddy bear?"
        "I got a reason."
        "Well, whatever that reason is, it doesn't exist to me so keep that reason to yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment