Monday, March 7, 2016

Grandma Got Ran Over By a Hyundai (Chapter 1)

During the weekend, the girls chilled in each of their homes during a pleasant afternoon. Lizzie was spending time in her living room, reading a book that one would read in preschool. Her parents were in the kitchen, helping each other cook food for later, so she was dressed in the rags she usually wears around her folks. At one moment, the doorbell rang.
Lizzie put her book down beside herself on the couch. She stood up and shouted, "I'll get it!"
She left the living room and walked toward the door. She looked through the peephole and saw an elderly brunette standing around. Lizzie recognized the old woman and made a weird face. She opened the door and greeted the woman with sudden cheerfulness.
"Young Elizabeth!" the old woman said in an Italian accent.
"Hi, Grandma Esth," Lizzie grinned.
Esth stepped forward and squeezed Lizzie like a teddy bear. "Oh, il mio bambino. I haven't seen you so long. You're tall as a tree."
Lizzie struggled in her grandmother's grip, slowly losing air. "Grandma, I can't breathe," she gasped.
Esth let go of her granddaughter, letting her catch her breath. Esth cooed and grabbed Lizzie's rosy face, taking a better look at her. "My young Elizabeth, you've grown." She slapped Lizzie on the cheeks then pinched them.
Lizzie winced as a reaction to the constant pulling of her face. "Well, I'm eighteen now so that qualifies as grown," she tried to smile.
Lizzie's parents soon left the kitchen into the little lounge.
"Mommy!" exclaimed her mom.
She ran towards her mother and gave her a big hug which Esth reciprocated. They soon pulled away, smiling at each other. Esth smacked her daughter on the cheeks then pinched them.
"You get more beautiful every day," she said. "How's my sweet little bubby?"
Lizzie's mother pulled Esth's hands off her face. "Bubby is fine," she smiled. "How have you been?"
"Wonderful, wonderful. The gout on my toes is going away so one day, I might be able to dance again."
"Nice to see you, Esther," greeted Lizzie's father.
"Joseph, you still got that mouse living under your nose?"
"Yep and I'm not getting rid of it."
Esth groaned. "So where is my little grandson? I've only seen pictures and I want to meet him in person."
"Oh, he's upstairs in his room, sleeping," responded Lizzie's mom. "I can't let you bother him but you can look at him if you want and wait until he wakes up."
"Oh, of course. But first, what is that shoe over there?" She pointed at the door to the living room.
Lizzie and her parents turned their heads and spotted a red peep-toe heel sitting by the edge of the door. Lizzie's eyes widened, internally freaking out; her parents did not recognize that shoe.
"I don't know," said Lizzie's mother. "It's not mine."
"Then it must be Elizabeth's," concluded Esth.
"No, it's not," Lizzie said quickly, looking at her grandma.
"Joseph, do you know whose shoe that is?" asked Lizzie's mom, looking at her husband all suspicious.
Lizzie's father leaned back, feeling like he was getting poked by his wife's cold stare. "Why do you gotta look at me like that? Just because there are shoes lying around the house doesn't mean you can't trust me."
"There are shoes lying around the house?"
"No, I didn't mean it like that."
"Guys," Lizzie caught their attention, "uh, when I said that that wasn't my shoe, I meant it actually is my shoe. I bought it... so I can give it to you, mom. Yeah because you go to church wearing the same shoes. But if you go wearing some pumps, you'd be poppin'. Your calves will be poppin', mom."
Lizzie's mother just stared at her. "Um, thank you, Lizzie. But I'm not into wearing pumps so I'm sorry. Thank you for getting me them though. Maybe I'll wear them for something special like our wedding anniversary." She smiled at her husband.
Lizzie's father walked up behind his wife and grasped her shoulders. "I don't have a problem with that," he said.
He purred into his wife's ear, making her titter.
"Ew," uttered Lizzie, "that is not what those shoes are for."
Lizzie's mother took her husband's hands off her shoulders. "So did you bring your stuff, mommy?"
"Oh, yes," responded Esth. "My sweet Alberto is outside with the van, trying to gather everything for me."
"Oh, Joseph and I can help him with that."
"Wait, what is going on?" questioned Lizzie.
"Oh, I forgot to tell you but it shouldn't matter. Grandma Esth is staying with us for a week."
"Yes, I want to spend time with my beloved children and grandchildren," added Esth.
"Come on, mamma. Let's get your things before Alberto turns into a pretzel."
Lizzie's parents and grandmother went out the open door into the driveway. Lizzie just stood there, staring at the door.
"Ain't this about a... hmm, man?" she muttered to herself, kicking the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment