Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Grandma Got Ran Over By a Hyundai (Chapter 2)

The next day, after the family arrived from church, Lizzie head up to her room and hopped on the bed. She took her cell phone out of her little satchel and began to call Madeline. She held the phone up to her ear and listening to the ringing until her friend picked up.
"Hello?" Madeline's voice protruded out the phone.
"Hey, Maddie."
"What's up, Doll?"
"I just came back from church." Lizzie held her phone to her ear using her shoulder.
"Did you go with your grandma?"
"Yeah, I sat next to her."
"Aw, that's nice."
"Nice? She was basically assaulting me the whole time. That woman is mega religious."
"Oh, sorry to hear. She's not getting on your nerves, is she?"
"Totally but my words would be different inside Jesus' safe house." Lizzie took off her lavender cardigan.
"Safe house?"
She got up, walked over to her closet then opened it. "I mean, my grandma has been bothering me ever since she stayed here and it's been, like, one and a half days. Which is how long it took Jesus to become a zombie."
"Uh-huh."
"She slaps me, she pinches me, she hits me." Lizzie took an unused hanger from the rack inside the closet and entered the ends into the inside of the sleeves of the cardigan. "She almost got me in trouble yesterday. I'm telling you, Grandma Esth is trouble herself. I think she's Cena."
"You mean 'senile'?"
"Oh, that makes sense." Lizzie pushed one half of the clothes and hung the cardigan in the space. "What's 'Cena'?"
"I don't know. Perhaps John Cena?"
"Oh, right. He's cute." She closed her closet.
"I know, right?"
"I want him to bounce me on his muscles." Lizzie turned around so she could sit on the bed. But when she turned, she froze when she saw her grandmother standing by the door. Lizzie, with wide eyes, held her phone with her hand. "Mads, I got to call you back."
"Okay. Later."
Lizzie hung up and held her phone near her stomach. "Hey, Grandma Esth. Did you lose some weight?"
"Quiet!" Esth demanded before walking closer to Lizzie. "What is this I hear about you saying I'm trouble?"
"Oh, see, what had happened was that I was... uh... it's a nickname. You know how us kids are. 'Trouble' is a nickname for someone cool and it means that... you are cool."
"I don't believe you."
"Oh, shoot."
"Why are you such a naughty, naughty girl?"
"I am not a naughty, naughty girl, okay? I love you but you hurt me."
"I 'hurt' you because I love you."
"I love you, too, but I don't pinch your cheeks like I'm playing with Play-Doh which I wish I still had."
"You're eighteen and you want toys. I don't understand you. But I understand that the shoe in the hall was yours so you're lying to your parents."
"You don't got any proof. Not enough to testify, of course. I'm innocent. I overrule you. Yeah, I tell nothing but the truth."
"You are like a child. You should get an education."
"And you should get gloves."
"Hey, what's going on here?" asked Lizzie's dad, just arriving at the door.
Esth turned around and faced her son-in-law. Lizzie put her arm around her.
"Oh, nothing," she smiled. "I was just telling Grandma Esth that I love her."
Esth scoffed. "If you loved me so much, I'd die."
"Okay," said Lizzie's father. "Uh, Esth, I got to go change Dallas and I left my cornstarch in the garage. Do you mind getting it for me?"
"Of course, not at all. I'll do anything for my grandson who loves me."
She stared at Lizzie crazily before walking off past Lizzie's dad, disappearing into the hallway.
"And you," started Lizzie's father, looking at his daughter, "can you go to the garage as well and drive the car to the wash?"
"Ooh, can I stay in the car while they're washing it?" she asked. "It looks like I'm getting washed except I stay dry."
"You can do whatever you want, sweetie. Just get it washed."
Lizzie ran past her dad and walked into the hall. She went downstairs into the lounge and snatched the car keys from the little table. Then she went into the kitchen where the door to the basement was. She opened it and went downstairs then headed to the door across. She opened it and entered the garage.
        She pointed the keys towards the Hyundai in the center of the carport and unlocked it. She opened the front door to the driver's seat and hopped in. She closed the door and stuck one of the keys in the ignition, twisting it until the car turned on. When it did, the radio turned on, playing gospel music. She switched the channels until she found a pop station, playing, "Heaven is a Place on Earth" by Belinda Carlisle. She pulled the gear shift into reverse before she gripped the wheel with both hands. She stepped on the gas pedal softly, backing the car up. As the car went into reverse for a few seconds, Lizzie felt something hard hit the back, which shook the car a bit, then heard a thud. Feeling confused, she took her foot off the gas and parked the car. She opened the door and got out of the car. She sprinted to the back of it and gasped when she saw her grandmother laying unconsciously on the ground. She shrieked into her hands and knelt before Esth.
"Grandma, are you okay!" she asked. "Nod your head if yes."
There was no response. Esth was out like a light.
"Okay, you're not nodding. I assume that's a no?"
Lizzie automatically felt screwed when her parents opened the door to the garage just a few seconds after.
Her father began to say, "Esth, did you find the corn-- Oh, my goodness!" He laid eyes on his mother-in-law's body.
Lizzie's parents ran over to Esth and crouched down.
"Oh, mommy!" Lizzie's mom began to cry. "Speak to me! What did you do, Lizzie?"
"It was an accident," Lizzie frantically answered, standing up. "I swear!"
"Oh, my goodness. Mom!"
"Esth, can you hear me?" asked Lizzie's father, pushing her chest.
"I'm not gonna get grounded, am I?" asked Lizzie.

No comments:

Post a Comment