Friday, March 11, 2016

Grandma Got Ran Over By a Hyundai (Chapter 5)

It had been almost hour since Esth was in the emergency room. Finally, a fully dressed doctor came out and approached Lizzie and her family.
"Are you guys waiting for Esth Giannini?" he asked in a deep voice.
"Yes, we are," answered Lizzie's father. "Is she okay?"
"Oh, she's awful. No, I'm kidding; she's fine. She's awake but she broke a few bones. She also asked to see a young Elizabeth."
"I'm a young Elizabeth," Lizzie raised her hand.
"Only her?" asked her mom.
"Yep, for a few minutes," the doctor replied.
"Okay," Lizzie said, unsure.
The doctor gestured to follow him. Lizzie glanced at her friends before walking towards the doctor's way. He entered this long hall filled with doors. After a minute, he showed Lizzie an open door. He entered the room and saw her grandmother lying on a hospital bed, hooked up to monitors with a cast on her leg and arm.
"Uh, hey, Grandma Esth," Lizzie said with a weak smile, walking closer to the bed. "Did you lose weight?"
"No but I almost lost my arm," Esth answered.
"That's... good?"
"Elizabeth--"
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry, okay? I wasn't trying to kill you. I was just trying to get to the car wash. They let you sit in the car while they wash it, you know?"
"Elizabeth--"
"You're not gonna seek revenge on me and kick me with your broken leg, are you?"
"Quiet! Elizabeth, I'm not mad."
"Why not? I almost killed you."
"I know. But you're my granddaughter and I love you and I know you wouldn't do anything to hurt me."
Lizzie genuinely smiled. "Aw, thanks, grandma."
"Besides, maybe this is a sign that I should slow down."
"No, you shouldn't."
"I'm getting old."
"Yeah but Kris Jenner is getting old and she does... stuff."
"I don't know who that is."
"Good. Grandma, don't slow down. You love to love and that's okay."
"You don't like it when I pinch your cheeks."
"You can still pinch them. I'm a big girl; it's not going to kill me. Your hands are not a car."
"Thank you, Elizabeth. But there's a sign for something."
"Grandma Esth, if I looked at my mirrors, I would have never hit you with the car. If God is trying to kill you, then he is a bad man."
"You're right. I'm going crazy."
"Yeah, but it's good to be crazy sometimes. Look at Miley Cyrus."
"I don't know who that is."
"Good." Lizzie began to groom Esth's short, dark hair.
"Young Elizabeth, maybe you're not a naughty, naughty girl after all. I won't tell your mom that you wear honeymoon shoes."
"That is not what those shoes are for. But thank you. Can you convince her not to hate me?"
"She doesn't hate you. She loves you to death. I taught her well."
"You did. You taught me well, too."
"I did?"
Lizzie looked into the air. "I don't know."
"You need to get an education."
"And you need to get gloves."
The two laughed as they began to hold hands, healing what could have been broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment