Wednesday, March 16, 2016

The Ex Games (Chapter 2)

Over the weekend, Madeline went on the date she planned with her boyfriend, Homer. He drove her in his gray Chrysler several minutes to a beach where a fair took place. After parking the car, they entered the area and passed by the young ones filling up the boardwalk. Madeline put her arm around Homer's arm and put her head on his shoulder, enjoying the breeze of the early afternoon and the warmth coming from her friend's neck.
"What should we do first?" she asked.
"Whatever you want to do, Madeline," Homer replied.
"Aw, I like it when you put me in charge. How about the 'Ring the Bell' game? I want to see how strong you are."
"I'm pretty strong."
"I'll believe it when I see it. But you got big arms so I believe it."
Homer chuckled. "You know, Madeline, I've been having a really good time ever since we met. It's so weird for me to say something like this but I really like you--"
"Wait a sec," Madeline demanded, stopping Homer. "Stay right there."
"Why? What's up?"
Madeline faced her handsome friend. "You look so fine in this light. I got to take a selfie of us." She began to take out her pink cell phone.
"Okay, when are you going to stop taking so many selfies?"
"'Til the day I die."
Madeline opened the camera application on her phone and switched the view. She held up the phone so the two could see their faces on the screen. She wrapped her arm around Homer and the two smiled into the camera. After she took the picture, she heard a voice call her name. It was a familiar voice. A voice of a young male. She put down her arm and looked to the right. She looked over Homer and found her old friend, Terry, from Fake Cabo, standing a yard away. He walked towards her with a nostalgic smile, formed by his thin yet soft lips.
"Oh, my goodness. Hey!" he said.
"Oh, hi, Terry," Madeline politely smiled. "I haven't seen you in a while."
"I know. It feels like forever although I've last seen you during the spring."
"Yeah." Madeline nodded.
"Who's Terry?" Homer asked, slowly filling with suspicion.
"This is Terry."
"I know; I see him. What I'm asking is who he is?"
"Oh, he was-- Or he is my-- What do you call it?"
"Ex-boyfriend?" Terry replied.
"Ex-boyfriend?" Homer repeated.
Madeline quickly chuckled. "No, he's not my ex. We were never in a relationship."
"Oh, yeah," agreed Terry, nodding his head.
"No, I've known him for a while."
"Were you guys a thing?" asked Homer.
"Uhhh, sorta."
"Yeah, sorta," said Terry.
"We used to talk. Maybe text each other."
"We made out once."
"Yeah, we made out. No, we didn't!"
"We didn't."
"Don't tell Homer that, Terry."
"I'm sorry."
"Wait, now I'm confused," said Homer. "Did you make out or not?"
"Why do you want to know?" asked Madeline.
"Because I-- I just-- I just want to know these things. He obviously meant something to you if you were making out with him."
"Yeah but I don't make out with him anymore. I barely talked to him at all since last summer."
"Yeah, we haven't talked that much," said Terry. "But we should really catch up."
"Yeah, we should."
"No, don't start talking to each other!" said Homer. "Just because you haven't spoke in a while doesn't mean you got to talk to each other again."
"What is the big deal?" Madeline asked almost loudly. "We're friends."
"Yeah, we're friends," Terry agreed.
"We're friends now, Homer."
"Alright," Homer almost mumbled. "I'm sorry for raising my voice."
"Listen, Madeline, I'll catch you later," said Terry.
"Alright," Madeline softly smiled.
As Terry walked off, Homer pointed at him. "No!" he disapproved. "No catching. No catching anyone later!"
"Homer, chill. He's just a friend. There's no need to be upset. Like really."
"Okay, I'm sorry. I apologize again. Just no catching."

No comments:

Post a Comment