Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Like Teacher, Like Son (Chapter 2)

Madeline opened the front door to her high school and strutted inside in her chic, preppy and pretty outfit. She took off her sunglasses and stuffed them into her new backpack which was in the form of tote bag. The hallways were a bit crowded but Madeline's swagger was unfazed, walking in a constant speed.
"Get to class, peoples," she asserted. "Prez King is still doing her thing."
She walked back three guys who wolf-whistled at her at the same time. They were all scrawny and looked like they smelled.
"Thanks for your reaction, boys, but this president has a boyfriend."
"Really?" said Lizzie, coming out of a past hallway and catching up with her best friend. "Give me the deets."
Madeline's countenance lit up when she saw Lizzie. "Well, we went on a picnic yesterday evening and we shared our second kiss. It felt like we were the only people on Earth."
"And you wasn't scared?"
"Why would I be scared?"
"Because you thought you were the only people on Earth. If I was by myself, I'd wonder who would make those oatmeal cookies I like?"
"Lizzie, it wasn't like that. It was in a romantic sense."
"But you should be scared," said Andrea, arriving out of nowhere. She walked on the other side of Madeline. "You know what boys try to do when they're alone with a girl."
"But he didn't try to do anything. He's a gentleman. I think I found the right guy."
"You don't just bump into the right guy."
"You got to go on eHarmony," said Lizzie.
"You got to see if he's patient. The guys who wait are the guys you date."
"Okay, I just can't believe you made that up," said Madeline.
"But it's very good," commented Debra, popping up. She walked next to Lizzie. "One of my favorite Andrea quotes so far."
"Thank you," smiled Andrea.
"Alright, maybe you're right," Madeline said. "You don't just find the one. Love at first sight might not exist."
"It has to," said Lizzie. "I've been in love at first sight."
"And it never worked out," Andrea added.
"Andrea!" Debra called.
"What? It's true. People who fall in love too quickly have the most disastrous relationships."
"I couldn't agree with you more," consented Skye, walking up to her girls, right next to Andrea. "Love is disastrous."
"But you love Jeffrey," reminded Lizzie.
"No, I strongly like him. There is a big difference."
"Is there a big difference?" asked Madeline.
"Whatever."
"Listen, you go after boys so quickly because they're usually attractive," noted Andrea.
"That's not true," declined Madeline. "I go after boys because they're attractive, clean and rich. Zeke's dad owns an actual Lamborghini. But he's afraid of getting it stolen so he keeps it in a secret garage."
"Who has a secret garage?" Skye questioned.
"I do."
"Of course, the most pretentious person I ever met."
"It was my dad's idea."
"When are you going to meet Zeke's dad?" asked Lizzie.
"I don't know. Probably after Zeke and I seal the deal which will probably be next month. I have no idea what his parents look like. I assume his dad just looks like an older version of Zac Efron."
"Ooh, I bet he'd still look hot," opined Andrea.
"Yeah, I imagine it not as good. Well, I got to get to class. See you, girls."
The girls said their goodbyes before parting in several different directions. Madeline memorized her assigned homeroom and made her destination to it. She walked down the stairs and the room was right at her left. She entered, taking a glimpse of the umpteen people who were either seated or standing around to chat with their far friends. Madeline looked to her right and saw the teacher at his desk. He had full brown hair, glasses and some scruff. He was obviously middle-aged and sort of skinny. He looked up at Madeline, smiled then stood up.
"Hello, nice to meet you," he said, putting out his hand.
Madeline shook it. "Nice to meet you, too. I am Madeline Louise King so you might as well mark that off the attendance list. Speaking of attendance, I am never absent. I rarely get sick but when I do, I take some Tylenol, cool my forehead with an ice pack and chew some minty gum so I don't throw up. But I know: you won't believe it until you see it. Well, believe this, I get straight A's, maybe some B's, which is almost rare. I am student body president until I graduate. Let me be honest: there will be nobody like me. I am in the debate club so I am very good at speaking. I've won at least three spelling bees so I'm good with grammar. I'm going to apply for the National Honor Society and I know I'm going to get in. I've been on the Honor Roll hundreds of times. I am such a study bug but I always find time to 'boogie-oogie'. Now, I know I have a lot on my plate but whatever you got, throw it right at me. Apple?" She quickly pulled out a green apple from her bag and exposed it when she offered.
The teacher slowly received the fruit from her hand. He examined it by rotating it with his one hand. "Is it clean?"
"Is Robert Pattinson engaged to FKA Twigs?"
The teacher chuckled. "You're confident. Fearless. Now that's what a student should be."
"A student already is."
Just a second later, Zeke walked into the classroom, holding a knitted ornament with a few keys attached to the end by metal rings.
Madeline caught his attention. "Zeke! How did you find me?" She walked closer to him.
"Oh, Madeline, you must be following me," he joked suavely.
"Please, I'm not desperate. But you are so fine."
She placed her hands on his arms and leaned in, giving him a smooch on the lips. Zeke leaned back just a bit, seeming to be hesitating. His eyes were half closed and his body stiffened. He stood up straight when Madeline released him.
"What you need, Zeke?" asked the teacher.
"Uh, you dropped your keys," Zeke replied, holding up the ornament. "I meant to give them to you earlier but I stopped to talk to some friends."
The teacher retrieved the keys. "Oh, thank you very much. Good thing you were looking out. Somebody could've stolen my Lambo."
"Lambo?" Madeline inquired in a giggle.
"I see you've met Madeline," noticed Zeke.
"I sure did," said the teacher. "What a bundle of joy she is. You got yourself a goody."
"I knew you would like her, dad. Or should I say Mr. Kendrick?"
Madeline smiled awkwardly. "Dad?"
The teacher and Zeke stared at Madeline as she blinked multiple times and lost her smile.
"Dad?"
Mr. Kendrick put his arm around Zeke. "Yep, this is my son."
"This is not how I pictured you meeting my dad," confessed Zeke, "but I figured it was going to happen this way."
Madeline still couldn't believe it. "Dad?"
"Well, I got to go. See you, dad. Bye, babe." Zeke left the classroom with no worries.
"Ain't my son a good boy?" asked Mr. Kendrick.
Madeline's face was stuck with confusion and disbelief. "Dad?"
"Not quite. But when you marry my son one day, I'll be considered your dad."
"Dad?"
"Well, you don't have to call me that now."
Madeline slammed her hands on her teacher's desk when he sat down in his rotisserie chair. "Dad?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment