Sunday, December 20, 2015

Christmas Gifts & Mistletoe (Chapter 3)

Later that day, all of the girls chilled at Andrea's house, mainly in the living room. They watched Christmas specials and indulged in tortilla chips and guacamole dip. After Madeline arrived, she sat down on the couch with Andrea while everyone else sat on the floor.
"What are all the reindeers' names?" asked Debra.
"I know all of them," admitted Madeline.
"Of course you do, know-it-all," commented Skye.
"I think a normal person would know."
"Well, I guess I'm not normal."
"That's fine with me. I like being the only person who knows everything."
"That's what makes you a perfect liar."
"Why does Rudolph have a red nose?" Debra asked another question.
"Drugs," answered Andrea.
Skye high-fived Andrea as Madeline scoffed.
"What reindeer takes drugs?" she asked.
"Rudolph, that's who," responded Andrea.
"He was probably messing with Tinker Bell or something," said Skye.
Andrea shook, hiding a laugh, but her smile kind of gave that away.
"Can we enjoy a cartoon without asking questions?" Madeline inquired.
"I have a question," spilled Lizzie, "but it doesn't involve cartoons."
"What's up, Doll?" inquired Andrea.
"How do you guys feel about giving your Christmas to someone else?"
"The same way I feel about Cris Angel doing magic," responded Skye. "Ain't no freakin' way."
"How do you mean, Liz'?" asked Madeline.
"Well, I met this girl at the office," Lizzie started, "and she told me that her house was robbed of Christmas stuff. So I told her that I was going to give the best Christmas she ever had."
"Why give a girl hope?" asked Andrea. "You're no worse than Madeline."
"I am not a liar," Madeline almost shouted.
"Lies!"
"What is this girl's name?" asked Debra.
"Alaska," answered Lizzie.
"Ew, who would do that to their child?" Skye questioned.
"Alaska Dunn," said Andrea. "Sophomore, really cute and benevolent. She chews a lot of gum though."
"See, I already know what to get her," said Lizzie.
"Lizzie, why do you want to 'give' Christmas to some girl you just met?" asked Skye.
"Because I want someone to do the same for me if a burglar robbed my house. But my family prays too much for something like that to happen."
"Lizzie, I know you mean well," started Madeline, "but like Skye said, ain't no freakin' way."
"You know what, guys?" Lizzie stood up. "I'm very disappointed in you all. One of the reasons I'm friends with you all is because you were the nicest people I could find. I thought you guys had hearts. There is a girl who is going to cry all day for Christmas because she has nothing to get and nothing to give. And what we're going to do is stay at home and open presents and spend time with our families? Uh, no thank you! I would rather make a stranger happy then make myself happy because that is how the world going to change: with smiles."
"You know, a wise man once told me that I should let out the good in me more."
"You spoke to one of the men who brought baby Jesus a birthday gift?"
"Yeah... that's who I spoke to. Lizzie, if you're really doing this, then so am I."
"Me, too," Debra jumped in. "Every day for Christmas, I wish for world peace. But I think we would get a step closer if I saw peace in someone who really needs it."
Lizzie bounced with a grin on her face.
"Hey, I've been on the naughty list for too long," said Andrea. "It wouldn't hurt to be on the nice list."
Skye groaned. "Fine, you losers. I'll do it, too."
"Yay!" cheered Lizzie. "This is going to be great! I'm telling you, you won't have any regrets."
"I'm not so sure about that. Eighty percent of my life I've been full of regret so we'll wait and see, shall we?"

No comments:

Post a Comment