Sunday, December 13, 2015

The Beast Within (Chapter 5)

Next week, Lizzie accompanied Debra after school on her way to a club that she had decided to join: environmental club. The girls spoke as they entered the assigned location which was outside behind the large school.
"I'm so glad that you found another club to attend," admitted Lizzie.
"Thank you, Lizzie," responded Debra. "That means a lot."
"What happens if they decide to wipe out this club? What would you do?"
"Well, change is normal. Change can be good or it can be bad. But whatever happens, I'll just have to deal with it."
"Ooh, what a good answer."
"Thank you."
"I hope that you stay in this club forever because you were crazy."
"I know."
"No, you don't know. You were a full jar of crazy. Sometimes, you can be a little crazy. Just a little bit but a good amount. But the last few days, you were more than crazy. Loony, mad, nuts. You were like the Cocoa Puffs bird: you were cocoa... for Cocoa Puffs."
"I think I get it, Lizzie."
"You even looked like a bird."
"Thank you, Lizzie. I get it. I was crazy."
"But you found a club so you don't have to be crazy anymore."
"Yeah."
"It makes sense for you to join the environmental club. You love the environment."
"I sure do."
"I'd join it with you but I don't like getting dirty. And I don't like bugs. And I don't want to wear boots. And someone told me that trees were out to get us."
The girls soon reached the club's location which was on top of a hill. After approaching it, they were greeted by an attractive, African-American male in a multicolored plaid shirt. He had a clipboard in his hands and a good smell that hit the girls right on the noses.
"Hello, how can I help you?" he asked in a deep voice.
"My best friend, Debra, heard about this club and would like to be a part of it," answered Lizzie. "I just wanted to take her here."
"Awesome! All I need for you is to sign some papers and when you do, you can have a seat." He gestured over to the organization which were umpteen teens sitting on the grass. He reached his hand out for a shake. "I'm Trevor."
Debra shook his hand. "Coolness. I'm Debra."
"Your name is Trevor like the rapper?" asked Lizzie. "Trevor Porter? You know, I thought he was one person but two years later, I learned that he's two persons. It's like Van Halen."
"You're not joining, right?" Trevor asked.
"No."
"Good. Glad that you're joining, Debra. Hey, do you wear makeup?"
"A little bit," Debra replied. "Not a lot."
"That means 'a little bit'," elucidated Lizzie.
"Wow, you're very pretty," Trevor commented.
Debra grinned. "Thank you."
"I like your necklace also."
She grabbed her hand-made crescent moon necklace. "Thank you."
"Are you a fan of the moon?"
"Yeah, I find moonlight really relaxing. But sunlight is very much important. Nothing brings me into a good mood like sunlight."
"Wow, that's beautiful."
"I think so."
"Do you want me to leave?" asked Lizzie.
"Yes," Debra and Trevor answered honestly together.
"It was a rhetorical question."
"Not really," said Debra, shaking her head.

No comments:

Post a Comment