Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Christmas Gifts & Mistletoe (Chapter 5)

Later, the girls called their parents and asked them to come over the Dunn house. Luckily, they all agreed and made their way over. (Lizzie changed her provocative clothing before her parents arrived.) The families were so happy to be united again, especially for a significant occasion. They even got know the Dunn family who were more than thrilled to have company over. Everyone spent most of their time in the smallish living room since the food was served in the kitchen. Madeline also invited her male friend, Guy, someone who she occasionally sees at the mall when she works. He arrived to the house last and Madeline was excited to open the door for him.
There he stood, his blond, hunky self with a long wrapped box in his hands.
"Hi, Guy," Madeline greeted him in a flirtatious voice, positioning herself in a sultry stance.
He smiled sexily. "Hi, Madeline." He stepped inside. "I got this for you."
Madeline took the box out of his hands. "Oh, for me? Why, you shouldn't have."
She closed her eyes, puckered her lips and leaned forward, insinuating that she wanted a kiss. But Guy ignored the hint, walking past her. Madeline heard his footsteps and opened her eyes to make sure. She acted natural again and closed the door with her eyebrows furrowed. She relaxed her face and swayed to Guy who stood in the center of the lounge.
"You know, I helped redecorate this place," she mentioned.
"Wow, you did?"
"Yep 'cause I'm charitable. That's just the kind of girl I am. I even helped hang up the mistletoe. See?" She gestured over to the suspended plastic mistletoe above the doorway to the living room.
Guy observed the group of plastic leaves and berries. "Oh, that's nice. Is there food?"
Madeline dropped her smile. "Yeah, there's plenty in the kitchen right beside you."
"Cool. Thanks."
He made no hurry but was pleased to go inside the kitchen to satisfy his hunger. Madeline just stared into the space, building with frustration.
Meanwhile, Alaska drooped down the sofa next to Skye who was biting a tough piece of chicken.
"Hi," Alaska said.
Skye ripped part of the meat off the warm bone. "Hi," she said back, chewing it all.
"Have I told you how thankful I am for you helping Lizzie with everything in my house?"
"Yeah, a few times."
"Oh, I'm so sorry."
"It's okay. It's Christmas, ain't it?"
"You girls are so different. How are you friends?"
Skye swallowed her food. "I don't really remember. We just sort of found each other. You got to have friends who are little different from you."
"Not really. I mean I have friends but they wouldn't do this for me if I had to think about it. I don't even know you guys and you did everything."
"Yeah, I don't know if I would have done 'everything' if it wasn't for Lizzie. When she asked us to help her, I sorta said no."
"Oh."
"But I don't regret this. I mean this is a good experience for me. I honestly wish that I had more experiences like this. Someone like me wouldn't normally be friends with someone like Lizzie. But I need a friend like her. I got a friend like her and I am thankful because I need people like her in my life to change my perspective on life. Christmas is a day of realizing how much people care about you and Lizzie cares about me very much because she is a good person. And she cares about doing things like this for other people. I'm lucky I have the friends that I have. I'm glad to have met you."
"Aw, the same for you."
"Don't tell anyone I said anything of that."
"Sure. You got it."
Madeline followed Guy out of the kitchen until they both stopped in front of the living room.
"I love the bread maker that you got me," she told him. "Maybe you can come by and we can make bread together."
"Sure, Madeline. You smell good."
"Thanks. It's my new lip balm." Madeline stepped closer to Guy and looked up into his eyes. "It's grapefruit flavored. Want a better look?"
"No thank you. I smell just fine. Where's the bathroom?"
Madeline looked away and scowled. "It's upstairs to your right."
Guy walked away, going upstairs, leaving Madeline in the lounge to sigh and shrug. When Skye got up to throw her trash away, Madeline marched into the living room and sat down on the sofa. Alaska saw Madeline and bounced on the sofa until she was an inch away. She reached down and grabbed a red bag from the floor.
"This is for you," Alaska said.
Madeline received the bag with a smile. She reached into the bag and pulled out a black headband with a wire on top hanging a parasitic plant. "What is this?"
"Toe-on-the-go. I made it last minute. I saw you chasing that guy so I thought this would come in handy."
"Um, I don't chase guys."
"Seriously?"
"Okay, maybe I chase them a little bit but only Guy. I was actually thinking of making something like this so thank you."
"You're welcome."
Madeline reached down and grabbed a small white box. "Here you go."
Alaska opened the box and was almost blinded by the sparkling crystals stuck on the silver watch. "Oh, my God! It's a watch! How much did this cost?"
"More than you can afford. I got one for my mom at 'Jewels R U' and I went back to get you something. It's cheaper than my mom's watch so I still have money in my wallet. I was going to get you gum but I thought if I'm going to give you something, it was going to be special."
"Oh, my gosh. I never had anything like this."
"Just don't get it stolen. The receipt is folded under the watch in case you want to return it. You know, get some money and spend it on something else, like a bread maker."
"Oh, I can't return this. It's too special."
"Good. I know your mother called me and my girls 'Christmas angels' but you're the angel. Well, now if you excuse me..." Madeline put on the handmade headband, "... I'm gonna chase a guy down hard because I get what I want on Christmas."
Alaska giggled as Madeline got up with mistletoe hanging over her face and headed for the stairs.

Everyone was all smiles and giggles at the Dunn house
The married men were tickling and kissing their spouse
The girls did not forget to exchange gifts
As Debra gave Andrea a box with a weird sweater in it
Andrea asked if there's a receipt, Debra said no
Through a fake smile, Andrea said, "Oh!"
But as time passed, she grew to love the sweater
Because it was a sign they were going to be friends forever
Alaska asked her mom why she was called the real angel
Her mom replied, "Because you're heavenly, true and graceful."
Alaska was all smiles which would have been impossible
If it wasn't for those girls who made it plausible
Everyone basked in the warmth of the Christmas tree lights
Madeline said, "Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night. Except for Guy 'cause you're not gonna leave without my kiss."
Madeline chased frantic Guy like a cheetah after a deer
He had no idea--

Aw, it doesn't matter. You get the gist of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment