Monday, December 28, 2015

Girls Like Englishmen (Chapter 1)

"You guys don't mind if my boyfriend sits with us for lunch, right?" asked Lizzie.
Andrea put down the crispy French fry she picked up from her lunch tray. "Of course... if you tell us who that is."
"You know! DeMarcus."
"The guy you met at that party last summer?" asked Skye.
Lizzie nodded. "Yeah."
"You're in a relationship with him?"
"Mm-hmm."
"You do know he's black, right?"
"Skye! Of course I know he's black. I'm not color-blind."
"I know but if you were color-blind, you would probably be able to tell he's black."
"I'm not racist."
Andrea chuckled into her can of soda. "I don't know about that."
"Guys, if she really likes him, then she doesn't care what race he is," said Madeline.
"Thank you, Madeline," Lizzie smiled.
"So he asked you to be his girlfriend?" asked Debra.
"Not really. I kinda call him my boyfriend behind his back."
"Oh, Liz'," started Madeline, "that is the right way to do it."
Madeline gave Lizzie a high five.
"Deceitful," Skye whispered playfully.
"Why don't you just ask him to be your boyfriend?" questioned Andrea. "There's no doubt that he doesn't like you."
"I know," said Lizzie, "but I don't want to take any risks. Besides, I know he'll ask me. I'm just... way ahead of him."
"Whatever floats your boat, Dolly."
"Oh, DeMarcus does. He made me a root beer float with a little boat floating on top. We shared it because that's what future couples do."
"It was an expression but I see."
Skye squinted her eyes, looking pass the girls. "Who's the guy in private school attire? Because the last time I checked, this was a public school."
The girls turned their attention towards the guy Skye was looking at. He was a teenager, conversing with someone sitting down at a table while he stood up. He was cute; he had full, flowing hair the color of mahogany. He was polished, wearing a blue blazer, khakis, and black loafers.
Madeline instantly drooled when she laid eyes on him. "I don't know but I want to know," she admitted.
"I think he's one of the foreign exchange students," shared Debra. "There were a few teens in my class today who were from England. They were really polite."
"Of course they were polite," said Andrea. "They can't just come in class and be like, 'Ah, yo, I run this and I'm only going to be here for a week.'"
"He's obviously from England," Skye assumed. "He looks like Harry Styles."
"I like Harry Styles," shared Madeline.
"I like Liam," Lizzie shared as well.
"I'm going to introduce myself."
"Why?" Skye threw her hand out.
Madeline lept out of the table. "Because I'm the president, darn it."
Skye shook her head as Madeline approached the well-dressed boy.
"Hi," she smiled, bearing her blinding white teeth.
"Hello," the brown-haired boy said in a British accent.
"Wow, you are from England."
"Is that a rumor?"
The two laughed.
"I'm Madeline."
"I go by Mason."
"If we ever get together, we would go by 'M and M'."
"Oh, yeah."
The two laughed again, getting deeper in the tangle of flirtation.
"Listen, since we know little about each other," started Madeline, "would you mind if I give you a tour after school? Besides, I am the president of Laguna Beach High."
"Intriguing. I would love the tour."
"Excellent. Do you want to sit with me and my friends?"
"No thank you. I was chatting up the old chaps here about nourishments. It's awfully funny; the students would eat like kings and queens back in London where we studied."
"Really?"
"No. It's pretty much the same. But I do eat lobster and sip some tea now and then, usually on Saturdays at family dinner."
"Family dinner? My parents barely come home."
"Of course. We always have family dinner right after tee time in the back of the manor."
"Manor? You're rich? My feet are literally glued to the floor right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment