Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Girls Like Englishmen (Chapter 3)

The next day, the girls found themselves in the cafeteria for lunch during school hours. They sat at their usual table, waiting for Madeline to arrive. Lizzie did not really care as her focus was on her dark-skinned, mesmerizing male friend. They were giving each other endless Eskimo kisses which were making Skye itch.
"Will you stop?" she demanded.
The couple immediately stopped when they heard her.
"Are you jealous that Jeffrey is not here to give nose kisses to?" Lizzie asked.
"No way," Skye responded. "But when we see each other, we do our own Eskimo kisses."
"What do you mean?"
"We punch each other in the arm. Hard punches. I like roughhousing."
"Why do they call them 'Eskimo kisses'?" DeMarcus asked Lizzie in his deep voice.
"Probably because that's how Eskimos kept their noses warm in the cold," answered Lizzie.
"Of course! You are so full of knowledge."
Lizzie rolled her eyes and blushed.
"Where is Madeline?" asked Debra.
"Hopefully not in England," Skye shared.
Andrea giggled. "She's probably with Mason, feeding each other crumpets or something."
"Don't be racist. The only difference between Americans and Britains are the accents."
"I wasn't being racist; I was making a guess. They eat crumpets in England. Sabes que, get your facts straight."
"Did you know if Paul Revere didn't exist, we would all be British?" shared Debra.
"That's interesting," commented Lizzie. "Instead of a diet soda, I'd be having a spot of tea."
"Too bad any brothers aren't British," pouted DeMarcus.
"Aw." Lizzie placed her hands on his shoulder.
Her friends just stared at the couple. They unfroze when Skye caught her eye on Madeline and Mason walking in together.
"Oh, there they are," she said.
Madeline and Mason swaggered in the cafeteria hand-in-hand. The colors on their clothes, blue and white, matched while their similar styles maintained. They both had smoldering looks on their faces as if they were a new Hollywood couple on the red carpet. Madeline flipped her flowing, blonde hair behind her shoulder as Mason flipped his brown hair just by twitching his head. The two approached the table with Madeline's friends in it and they sat next to Debra.
"Whoa, I didn't know Prince William and Princess Kate came to visit," Skye joked.
"Smashing," Madeline and Mason answered at the same time.
Skye leaned back just a bit and made a perplexed face.
"What's with the matching clothes?" asked Andrea.
"Oh, these?" inquired Madeline. "They're just a little something we picked out at the mall."
"You went to the mall again after we went?" questioned Skye.
"Me and Mason went to a different mall."
"We shared a frozen yogurt," Mason added.
"Yummy."
"Okay," said Debra. "So, Mason, how do you like Laguna so far?"
"It's splendid," he answered. "I wish I could stay for just a minute more but soon, I have to depart to London and finish my studies."
Madeline wrapped her hands around Mason's arm and rested her head on his shoulder.
"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that," said Debra. "What will you miss most about this place?"
"The games," Mason quickly replied.
"And me," Madeline whispered.
"And her."
"Oh, you must really like yourself some Madeline," nodded Andrea.
"Oh, I sure do. She's so intellectual. She's got a good head on her shoulders. And that mug. Who can resist such a face?"
"Blind people," responded Skye.
"Right, right. But look at this bird: she's a big bottle of sunshine."
Madeline grinned, glowing as sunshine would.
"The sun makes blind people," said Skye.
"Shh, Skye," Madeline hissed.
Skye sneered like a snake.
"Mason, have you met my... good friend, DeMarcus?" asked Lizzie.
"I'm afraid not," answered Mason. He put his hand out. "How are you doing, DeMarcus?"
DeMarcus shook his hand. "I'm dandy as candy, British brother. You said you liked the games. Do you play a sport?"
"Oh, I play a little football back at my hometown."
"Oh, that's cool. I play football, too."
"Delightful. So are you good at kicking?"
"When it comes to field goals."
"Of course. Kicking is mainly how you play the game. How else are you going to get it in the goals?"
"Uh, when I play football, I usually run. And sometimes catch."
"I'm befuddled. Are you a goalie?"
"No, I'm a football player. Are you referring to the goalpost?"
"No, I'm referring to the man that stands in front of the goal."
"You mean the referee?"
"He's talking about soccer!" Madeline lifted her head up.
"Oh, you call soccer 'football'?"
"Of course," said Mason.
"Oh! Okay. Sorry about that. But to be fair, you should've said soccer."
"Moving on," Madeline rolled her eyes.
"I'm famished," Mason said. "I'm going to get something to nosh." He took his feet out from under the table and stood up, facing Madeline. "Do you want anything? A bag of sweets perhaps?"
"No thank you," she smiled.
"Very well then. You know, ever since I've been here, this cafeteria has been serving fish and chips for us foreign exchange students. It feels like I'm home."
He walked away with a smile as Madeline watched him walk away. She then paid heed to her friends.
"Man, I'm so sick of eating fish and chips every day," Andrea spilled.
"I see fish on your plate," started DeMarcus, "but I don't see any chips. I see fries."
"I think 'chips' mean 'fries' in England," guessed Lizzie.
"Oh! Ain't she a brainiac or what?"
"Yeah," uttered Skye.
"Isn't Mason the cutest?" inquired Madeline. "He is so sprung on me."
"Too bad he's going to spring back to England in a couple of days," said Andrea.
"Whatever because we can continue our 'corking' relationship over the phone and Skype. Maybe letters. He could write me love poems."
"Or he could write you nothing," added Skye. "Maddie, how do you know that he wants to keep seeing you?"
"Because he's seeing me every day. Look at us. We look like the Blue Man Group but with better style. Besides, if he didn't really like me, he wouldn't have agreed to meet my parents tomorrow."
"He's going to meet your parents?" asked Debra.
"I wouldn't have said it if he wasn't."
"Maddie, don't you think you're moving a little too fast?" questioned Andrea. "You've known this guy for barely a week."
"No, I'm not moving too fast. I like Mason and Mason likes me. We're going at the same pace and it's a normal pace. That's why I'm going to wait until I'm in my late twenties to marry him and become the princess of England."
"That dude is a prince?" asked DeMarcus. "Why didn't anyone say anything? I just shook his hand and my palm was dirty."
"I'm sorry, my special friend," said Lizzie, resting her hands on his shoulder again.
"He is not a prince," Andrea noted. "He's not a prince, Madeline."
"Fine," said Madeline. "I move to England, we date then break up. My broken heart is consoled by an actual prince who I will later marry. Boom, there's my plan."
"That's a dumb plan."
"Especially for someone supposedly smart," said Skye.
"I told you," said Madeline, "it's my fairytale dream taking over."
"Well, there aren't any British fairytales so get over it."
"There are plenty of--"
"I know what I meant!"

No comments:

Post a Comment