Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Beast Within (Chapter 2)

The next day, a school day, Debra couldn't concentrate. She found herself in second period, fidgeting in her chair. She set her head in the palm of her hand as her elbow rested on the desk. She looked up to the ceiling, hardly blinking, and she had a hard time breathing. As the teacher got into the first lesson of the day, Debra could barely listen to him.
"Who can tell me when was World War I?" he asked. After going through a visual maze of students, he caught his eye on Debra. "Ah, Debra?"
Debra didn't hear him. She still wasn't listening, distracted with angry thoughts in her mind.
"I said Debra."
She sat up straight. "What?"
"Can you tell me when was World War I?"
"Uh, did I raise my hand?"
"No."
"Then I don't have to answer that question, do I?"
"Well, I called on you and I'm the teacher so you do have to."
"Well, I don't want to."
"What's with your attitude?"
"My attitude? I don't want to be somebody's welcome mat. That's my attitude."
"What are you talking about?"
"I've been nice and patient for too long. I thought that the world was good to me but apparently, it's not. And I'm not going to sit here and be a good person when good people can't get what they want."
"Well, someone should have told you that when you live in a world like this, you can't always get what you want."
"And that's where you're wrong." Debra pushed her chair back and stood up. "You see, I go to school, I do my work and I go to yoga club. Basically my school routine. But now, since yoga club has been pulled, my routine is a little different. Because it's different, I should be different. Isn't that how the world goes? You come and you change."
"Is that why you're freaking out? Because yoga club is gone?"
"Yes, why wouldn't I? And they replaced it with K-Pop club. Who listens to that?"
"I listen to that," said a Caucasian brunette with bangs who sat behind Debra.
"You listen wrong," Debra looked at the girl with a snarky smile.
"Debra, please sit down," the teacher demanded.
"No!" Debra approached her teacher. "I will stand up. I mean, what's the point of learning relaxation when it basically gets taken away from you every single day? Which is why I will not relax; I will react. Because emotions are normal; anger is normal and I shall feel angry every day because it makes me a human being." She poked her finger in the teacher's chest.
"Alright, Ms. Lincoln. I understand that you are angry and I agree that it's normal. However, this is a learning institution and here, we expect our students to learn how to become civilized adults. And Ms. Lincoln, I suggest that you act like an adult, sit down and get your education."
Debra gave her teacher a big, cold stare into the eyes. Her scowl became a sinister smile before she did the unthinkable. She grabbed the end of her teacher's red striped neck tie and lickety-split, she stuffed his tie into his mouth. The teacher was surprised and so were the witnessing students. His eyebrows furrowed as he stood glaring at the fearless Debra.
"Try to catch me," she said softly.
She ran out of the open classroom with the teacher following her, yelling muffled, incomprehensible words through his neck tie.

No comments:

Post a Comment