Monday, December 1, 2014

The Masqueraded Man (Chapter 2)

Three days later, the Masquerade Ball at the school had came. The students who bought a ticket for it were dressed up in extravagant outerwear and creative masks. The Ball took place in the gymnasium, displaying a dreamy atmosphere with exquisite decorations, dark lights and nebular music. The girls, except for Skye, arrived together to their school, all looking gorgeous in their individual dresses and masks. They handed in their tickets to the front table and entered the Ball. They stopped to look at the attractive decor and watch their friend, Skye, and her band performing a song that they just ended.

"Thank you," Skye spoke in the microphone. "Next, we will playing 'Man in the Box' by Alice in Chains."

"I hate Alice in Chains!" said a girl who was standing in front of the platform the band was performing on.

"Then I guess I hate you!"

"No taste," mumbled David, the lead guitarist.

He played a riff on his guitar of the key of E5. Kent, the drummer, played the drums slowly within the riff. David and Sean, the rhythm guitarist, sung into their microphones the vocal introductions of the song.

La la la la la la...

Skye began to sing the first verse in a pleasant, ethereal voice.

I'm the man in the box

Skye started to speak in her regular voice quickly: "If you don't like what you hear, people, you can leave but you can't get your money back."

She went back to singing:

Buried in all my stuff

"Is this song from the eighties?" asked Andrea to her friends.

"The nineties," Debra replied.

"She should play some Gucci Mane."

"Who puts on Gucci Mane at a Masquerade Ball?" asked Madeline.

"Someone who wants a Masquerade Ball to turn up!"

"I'm sorry that you couldn't find a date to the Ball, Maddie," said Lizzie.

"It's okay," Madeline responded. "These guys just aren't ready for my jelly."

"Is that a reference?"

"Yes."

"Nice."

"Oh, I see Hugh," said Andrea. "Excuse me, girls, but I'm about to get my two on." She strutted away from her friends towards her handsome date who was standing by a friend on the dance floor.

"Another reference?" asked Lizzie.

"Yes," Madeline answered.

"Nice."

Instantly, Hank, Lizzie's boyfriend, sneaked up behind Lizzie and squeezed her.

"Hi-ya, cupcake," he greeted while rocking her.

"Hi-ya, muffin," Lizzie replied with a grin.

Hank faced Lizzie. "I almost barely recognized you."

"I barely recognized myself, too. When I was at home, I looked and said, 'Who is that girl?' Then I found out it was just me looking into the mirror."

Hank chuckled. "Shall we dance?"

"We shally-shall."

Hank pulled her away gently into the dance floor and danced with her.

"Well, it's just you and me, Debbie," said Madeline.

"It sure is," smiled Debra.

"Debra!" a boy called.

Debra looked to her right and saw her date waving at her.

"I mean it sure isn't," said Debra. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," Madeline smiled. "Have fun."

Debra grinned. She sprinted over to her date, Darrell, who had friends to greet her.

Madeline sighed. "Now it's just me," she mumbled. She watched Skye onstage, rocking out with her band, A New Yesterday.

Feed my eyes (Can you sew them shut?)

Jesus Christ (Deny your maker)

He who tries (Will be wasted)

Feed my eyes (Now you sewn them shut)



La la la la la la...

The band ended the song with them halting from playing their instruments all at once. Few of the attendents of the dance applauded them.

"Thank you, thank you," said Skye, into the microphone. "Now we will be playing 'Shattered' by O.A.R."

Skye took off the microphone from its stand and walked over to the keyboard that was next to her. She connected the microphone onto a little stand that was connected to the top of the keyboard. She started to play the intoduction on the keyboard to keys of B B/A#. Kent later bought in the pop-sounding drums once Skye began to sing the first verse.

In a way, I need a change

From this burnout scene

Madeline walked further into the gymnasium and nodded to the infectious music that A New Yesterday was producing. She turned around when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She faced a male with an indigo-colored mask with white, black and purple lace on its border covering his eye area.

"Hi," he greeted.

"Hi," Madeline greeted back.

"Are you here by yourself?"

"No, I was here with some friends. Now I'm not here with some friends."

"Would you like to dance?"

"Do I know you?"

"No, but I know you."

"Yeah? Then who am I?"

"Do you happen to be related to Princess Diana?"

Madeline paused. "Alright, buddy, you can have your dance."

The boy grinned.

He pulled her gingerly into the center of the dance floor and placed his hands on her waist. Madeline interlocked her fingers behind his neck. To the music, they swayed while looking into each other's eyes.

"That girl's voice is amazing," the boy remarked.

"That's cool; I'm friends with that voice," Madeline responded.

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah."

"That's cool. Tell her I think she's an amazing singer."

"Oh, I'm afraid that she already knows that."

"I like this song."

"Me, too. Is it by--?"

"O.A.R.? Yeah, it's called 'Shattered'."

"Cool."

The boy deeply stared into Madeline's eyes.

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing, it's just that... your eyes look like big, blue ponds."

"Well, we all are made of seventy percent water."

The boy chuckled then lost his smile. Madeline lost her smile as well. Slowly, the boy leaned his head closer to Madeline's face. Madeline stood still, not wanting to push the unknown boy away. He pressed his lips against hers and they closed their eyes. Madeline felt that she and him were the only ones on the dance floor, getting lost in the music.

How many times can I break till I shatter?

Over the line, can't define what I'm after

I always turn the car around

Don't wanna turn that car around

I got to turn this thing around

The band ended the song with the fading of their instruments, leading to more people in the gymnasium applauding. Once they heard the applause, Madeline and the blue-masked boy pulled away. As Madeline opened her eyes and slowly developped a smile, the boy took a look at his watch.

"Oh no!" he called. "I have to go! I-I-I will see you in school." He began to run away.

"Wait, you have to go so soon?" asked Madeline.

The boy turned around. "I'm sorry. See you." He continued to run.

"But wait! Where are you going, Cinderella?"

No comments:

Post a Comment