Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Masqueraded Man (Chapter 1)

"We're all going to the Masquerade Ball, right?" Madeline checked in, pulling a spinach leaf from her sandwich.

"Correct," Andrea answered for everyone.

"What are you doing to your sandwich?" asked Lizzie.

"One of the leaves were rotting," replied Madeline.

"You can't eat rotting leaves?" Skye commented.

Andrea giggled.

"No, it's full of bacteria," said Madeline.

"But I saw you picking your ears and you said they're full of bacteria, too," said Lizzie.

"No, no. Shush."

"You still haven't found a date for the Ball?" asked Andrea.

"No, but the Ball isn't until Saturday so I have plenty of time."

"But no one is going to be your date if you're picking your ears," said Skye.

"They were itchy!"

"I can't wait to go to the dance," Lizzie grinned. "I picked the perfect dress."

"My mom is still working on my dress," said Andrea.

"Why can't you just buy a dress?" asked Debra.

"It's cheaper to have it made. Plus, my mom can design like crazy."

"Then maybe your mom can make me a dress that says 'Date-less' on it," said Madeline.

"Don't worry, Madeline," said Debra. "You will find someone."

"Speaking of 'someones'," started Andrea, "who are everyone's dates?"

"I'm going with my boyfriend," answered Lizzie.

"Of course you are."

"I'm going to ask out Gerald," said Skye.

"Who's Gerald?"

"Gerald Sanders."

"You mean Goth Gerald?" questioned Madeline.

"Like there are other Gerald's."

"But he's scary," said Lizzie.

"I like scary."

"But he looks like somebody dug him up and forced him to go to school," Andrea commented.

"Girls, we all have different tastes. If I want to go out with a goth, then let me go out with a goth. It's not a big deal; I like him."

"Enough to date him?"

"That's only if he wants to."

"Imagine Gerald sitting here," said Madeline. "I would not like that."

"Whatever. You can't stop me. Besides, I won't hang out with him that much at the dance because my band is performing there. Debra, who are you going out with?"

"Darrell," answered Debra. "Just as friends, though."

"You only go to dances with your friends," said Andrea.

"Listen, if I find the one, I will snatch him up and make him a dream catcher."

"Your specialty," added Skye.

"I'm going to the dance with Hugh," Andrea answered her own question.

"Are you guys dating?" asked Lizzie.

"No, just talking."

"Well, it's so great to hear you girls talk about your dates for the Ball," Madeline noted. "I will be going out with space."

"You said you didn't have a date," said Lizzie.

"No, I meant that I will be the only lonely person at the dance."

"Aw, Madeline, we'll hang out with you there," Debra insisted.

"I appreciate that but just to make it clear, I am not a third wheel. I will not dance with you and your dates when a love song comes up."

"There's no way you're touching my man," stated Lizzie.

"Hugh said it's a dream of his to be a part of a 'girl sandwich'," said Andrea.

"Well, tell Hugh to keep that dream to himself," Madeline ordered, "because it's not going to happen."

"You can't slow dance by yourself," said Debra.

"Oh, I've seen the movies. I definitely can slow dance by myself."

"Then that means you would be going to the dance with yourself, meaning you're your own date," said Lizzie. "Meaning you won't be dateless at all."

"I see that you're trying to cushion the blow but I still feel the blow, Lizzie."

"It's good to know that somebody noticed my cushion."

No comments:

Post a Comment