Sunday, November 23, 2014

I'll Text You (Chapter 3)

A few days later, around ten O'clock in the morning, third period was getting through the middle. Debra was receiving knowledge in her history class. Technically, instead of receiving knowledge, she focused on her cellphone. As the teacher spoke to the class on a lesson about the American War, Debra text-messaged Lizzie through a conversation. She texted more unnoticeably but the teacher finally caught her.

"Miss Lincoln!" he called.

Debra looked up. "Hi!"

"Are you text messaging in my class?"

"Yes and no."

"What do you mean 'yes and no'?"

"Yes, I am text messaging in your class. And no because I don't want to seem rude about it."

"Well, either/or, put your phone away."

"Whatever you say."

Debra closed her phone and dropped it in her open fringe purse.

The teacher continued to explain the American War, talking about the important factors of it such as significant figures. As he did so, Debra waited until the teacher turned away to face the other side of the classroom of students. She slowly reached into her purse and picked up her phone. She opened it from under her desk and began to type. Once the teacher turned back around, he quickly spotted Debra.

"Miss Lincoln!" he shouted again.

Debra, startled, looked up.

"Are you text messaging again?"

"Yes and no."

"Either/or!"

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry; just don't do it! I'm going to take away your phone."

"No."

"N-No?"

"I have to text my friend, Lizzie, a joke I heard today."

"Where is your friend, Lizzie?"

"She's in study hall. Nobody cares what you do in there."

"Well, I care what you do in here!"

"Sorry."

"Talk to your friend later!"

"I would but--"

"Give me your phone!"

"I can't. I love my phone."

"You're disrupting my class."

"You're talking to me."

"Then get out."

"What?"

"If you won't give me your phone, then get out."

"Can we settle this?"

"Put away your phone and we're settled."

"I can't do that."

"Then go. Get out."

Debra slid out of her chair. "Alright. You need to chill."

"What?!"

"Oh, my chi." Debra sprinted out of the classroom, afraid of her teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment