Friday, November 7, 2014

Green with Envy (Chapter 1)

Over the weekend, Lizzie decided to go to a new diner a few blocks away from her house with Debra. She went with only Debra because the other girls had plans. So they met up at a space between their homes and walked together down to the cafe.
"Why are you wearing all of those clothes?" asked Debra. "I thought your parents let you secretly wear your original clothes as long as they didn't know about it."
"That's a good way to put it," said Lizzie. "I heard that the restaurant has way too much air conditioning. So I'm wearing a sweater and knee-high socks for the weather inside the cafe."
"What's the diner called again?"
"Cool Beans."
"Clever. Because they sell coffee?"
"No, I think they just serve beans."
"Then why are we going there?"
"Don't you like beans?"
"Honestly yes. But what's in it for you?"
"I love new businesses. And my parents say to me all the time to do nice things. So buying food from a new restaurant is doing them a favor."
"That's generous to hear, Lizzie. You have money, right?"
"Of course."
"Okay. So do I."
"You have five dollars, too?"
"Okay, never mind."
"Oh! There it is," Lizzie pointed at the near business. "I hope it's nice on the inside as it is on the outside."
The girls opened the glass doors and entered the diner.
"I told you about that air conditioning," said Lizzie, crossing her arms.
"Wow, it's so clean," Debra commented.
The brunet teenager, who was wiping the counter with a towel, heard the customers and faced them behind the counter. "Welcome to Cool Beans," he declared. "I will be-- Lizzie."
Lizzie's eyes widened. "Hank?"
"You two know each other?" asked Debra.
"Yes," answered Hank, the employee. "We used to--"
"Date," Lizzie finished.
"Yeah, date."
"Oh, wait," said Debra. "I think I remember you. You guys were dating when I first met Lizzie."
"Yeah, met," said Lizzie, frozen.
"Excuse me but I'll be right back," said Hank. He walked out of the counter and into a door right by it.
"I changed my mind," blurted out Lizzie. "I don't feel like helping out the business today."
She tried to walk away but Debra pulled her in.
"Why are you bugging?" Debra questioned.
"I'm not bugging, you're bugging. There are bugs all over you."
"Was the breakup messy?"
"No. Maybe. A little bit. Yes. Why?"
"Why? To know why you're bugging."
Hank came back with two menus and place it on a table. He motioned his hands towards the table to let the girls know that they can sit there. They walked up and sat in the seats of the table, facing each other.
"What would you girls like to drink?" Hank asked, taking out a notepad and a pen.
"I would like a raspberry tea," answered Debra.
"I-I-I would like a, um, water," Lizzie replied.
"Tea and water coming right up," said Hank. "And it's nice to see you, Lizzie."
"Mm-hmm."
Hank walked off into the kitchen.
"I feel like I would remember what happened but I really don't," said Debra.
"I broke up with him because I was getting bored of him. But when I broke up with him, I might have broke him. I never thought I would face him again. Plus, I thought he moved."
"Well, if he moved, he came back."
"Can we please leave? I don't want this to be awkward."
"It's already awkward so we can't leave."
"I am so not sharing that five dollars with you for the bill."
"Whatever, cheapskate."

No comments:

Post a Comment