Monday, November 17, 2014

I'll Text You (Chapter 1)

Over the weekend, Debra practiced her yoga in her relax-decorated bedroom. Once her father entered the open-door room, she stood up straight, coming from a bent position.

"What is up, dad?" she asked.

"Doing your yoga?" Debra's father asked back.

"Every day, all the time."

"I know you're not crazy about this but I got you this." He pulled out a regular cellphone from his pants' pocket.

"What is that?"

"It's a cellphone."

"Oh! No thank you."

"No, you need it."

"But you know how I feel about cellphones."

"I know but you need one for emergencies."

"When am I ever involved in an emergency?"

"Just because you've never been in an emergency doesn't mean you'll never be in one. You can't send letters all the time."

"Letters are natural."

"Then when you're kidnapped, make sure you brought a pen and a piece of paper."

"Dad--"

"No, Debra. You need a phone so I'm giving you one. Here."

Debra sighed before taking the phone. "I don't think I even know how to use a phone."

"You just open it up and make phone calls."

Debra flipped up the phone. "I know but there are letters next to the numbers on the buttons."

"Yeah, you can text with the buttons."

"But... how is that possible?"

"Debra, I swear I feel like I'm talking to an old woman all of the time."

"I am young; I think I am allowed to ask questions." She placed her hand quickly on her waist. "Ow, my hip!"

"Yeah, you're young alright. Ask your friends when you get to school. They have phones."

"Yeah but their phones are so advanced. It's like they talk into little computers all the time."

"I'm pretty sure that they had your type of phone before."

"Okay, then I'll ask them."

"And I set up your account so you use it right away."

"Set up my what?"

"Again, old woman."

"Thanks for considering me of having a phone, dad."

"You're welcome. Maybe I should buy you a car."

"Dad, I told you I don't want a car."

"Walking home to and from school is dangerous."

"Everybody walks to and from school."

"Yeah but their parents don't love them like I do."

"Cars pollute the environment."

"And they get you where you need to go. I'm getting you a car." He headed for the door.

"I don't need a car."

"I'm doing this because I love you," her father said, leaving the room.

"Stop spoiling me! Heart center."

No comments:

Post a Comment