Tuesday, November 25, 2014

I'll Text You (Chapter 5)

After the weekend, the girls were back in school and all associated with each other in the cafeteria for lunch.

"I just want to say that I am so sorry to all of you," Debra started. "I let this whole texting thing block my eyes from what was real and I am sorry if I isolated myself from you all."

"Oh, Debra, you're a sweetheart no matter what," said Andrea.

"I forgive you," responded Lizzie. "Of course, Debra."

"Wait, we forgive her just like that?" asked Madeline. "You beat me up. Like you actually fought me. I have a cut on my face."

Skye scrunched her eyebrows. "Where?"

Madeline pointed at her forehead. "Right there."

Andrea squinted her eyes. "Where?"

Madeline pointed again. "Right there."

Debra leaned towards Madeline's face. "That little cut."

"It's a dot," noted Andrea. "You can barely see it."

"Dot or not, it's still a cut," said Madeline. "I am too beautiful to look this way. It stung this morning when I tried to put concealer on it."

"It stung when you put concealer on a dot?"

"Madeline, I am truly, deeply sorry," Debra apologized. "I don't know what else to say but I was way in over my head. I'm sorry for... giving you that... that tiny cut on your face."

Madeline smiled. "I can never stay mad at you, Debbie. Hey, I will take a cut to the face if it means helping you."

"Thank you, Maddie."

"It's barely a cut," Andrea commented. "You can make that dot on your face with a sewing pin."

"So are you okay with having no phone?" asked Lizzie.

"I'm sort of okay," answered Debra. "My dad told me he was going to get me another one away. Just one with no text messaging."

"Well, there goes our silent conversations," said Skye.

The girls giggled.

"But my dad said that I can't invite my friends over our house anymore," Debra added.

"All of your friends?" asked Madeline.

"No, he said just don't invite 'the white ones'."

"So I can still come over your house?" asked Andrea.

"Of course."

"Oh, yeah."

"That's a bit racist," Madeline commented.

"Well, you did destroy my phone with Coca Cola," said Debra.

"But it's not like all white people destroy their phones."

"That reminds me," said Lizzie. "I got to get a new cellphone."

"Why?"

"I destroyed my original one."

"See?" inquired Debra.

"That means nothing," said Madeline.

"Man, I am done with texting. It almost ruined my life. If I have to touch something with keys ever again, I will grow nauseous."

"That's too bad," said Andrea, "because in English class, we have to type reports in the computer lab."

"Ah! I am losing chi."

"So you don't need my ointment?" asked Lizzie.

No comments:

Post a Comment