Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Bad Breakup (Chapter 5)

It was a new Monday and lunchtime at school had started. The girls had to wait for Lizzie once again. They stared at the door to watch if Lizzie would enter sooner or later.

"Do you think Lizzie is coming?" asked Madeline.

"She's been pretty much ignoring us," said Andrea. "So who knows?"

"I hope that talk went well," wished Debra.

"Just remember that the idea was yours, Debbie and Maddie," Skye reminded.

Madeline stared at Skye.

Finally, Lizzie had entered the cafeteria with no tears in her eyes. The girls looked at her until she sat down where she usually sat at their table.

"Hi, Lizzie," Madeline greeted quietly.

"Hi, Maddie," Lizzie looked down. "Hi, girls."

The rest of the girls greeted her back.

"Are you okay?" asked Andrea.

"Yeah," Lizzie answered in a moping voice.

"Are you sure?" Skye asked.

"I mean things didn't work out. Our breakup has been finalized."

"I'm sorry, Liz'," said Madeline.

"It's okay. We had to fizzle one day or another."

"You two were so happy," said Debra.

"Well, the only way we can be happy now is to stay away from each other."

"Did you learn why he broke it off with you?" questioned Madeline.

"Yeah. I learned that I was too much for him."

"What does that mean?" asked Skye.

"He could not handle having a girlfriend who was prettier than him."

"Well, that's stupid," commented Andrea.

"Andrea!" Madeline called.

"I'm just saying. You deserve better than him."

"Thanks, Andrea. And thank you for being there for me, guys."

"We know you would have done the same for us," said Madeline.

"Not really."

Madeline frowned. "Oh."

"But it's nice to know you'd thought that."

"As long as you're thankful," said Debra. "Do you feel better?"

"Knowing that you guys care, I do now."

"Don't worry, Lizzie," said Andrea. "We're going to find you someone new."

"Someone who won't make you cry," Skye added while putting her arm around Lizzie.

"Thanks, girls," smiled Lizzie. "But I think I'm going to take a break from guys for a while. This heart is sealing up but the crack needs to go away."

"I like that metaphor," said Debra.

"Good. Can you explain it to me?"

Debra's smile grew blank.

"We're so happy that you're happy, Lizzie," commented Madeline.

"Me, too," Lizzie said. "I cried a lot, didn't I?"

"Oh, a lot," responded Skye.

"So much that you could've formed a river," said Andrea.

"Good thing you didn't cry too much," said Madeline, " or else, you would've died from dehydration."

"I could've died?" Lizzie panicked. "Why didn't you tell me that so I could have held my breath?"

"Yeah, Maddie, why didn't you tell her that?" Andrea asked.

Madeline stared confusingly at Andrea.

No comments:

Post a Comment