Sunday, December 28, 2014

Meet My Girlfriend (Chapter 1)

After lunch, the girls head to their next classes. Skye went to her physics class, completing a drill with her classmates. After going over a couple lessons, the teacher declared some instructions quickly.

"So, class, what you're going to be doing is finding the acceleration of the toy car. To do that, you will be setting up a ramp with the wooden board at a desired angle using the ten wooden blocks at the laboratory tables. As you do that, you will have to find the coefficient of friction provided by the toy car. Make sure to weigh the car and use a calculater to solve the coefficient of friction. Remember to convert numbers to their proper measurements. And use the equation provided on your papers when you record results. Now any questions?"

One of the male classmates raised his hand. "Yeah, can you repeat that?"

"Joshua, if I repeat that one more time, I'm going to have to whack with my meter stick."

The guy paused. "Wait, did you say 'meter'?"

"Just get up and go your labs!"

The students scooted out of their seats and quickly paired up with their desired friends. Skye did not immediately pair off with anyone, seeing that her friends of the class did not want to work with her. She looked around before being tapped in the shoulder.

"Hi, do you want to be partners?" asked a girl with short black hair hidden in a gray beanie.

"Sure," Skye shrugged.

The girls walked over to an empty counter with a wooden board and a miniature sports car. Skye slapped her blank piece of notebook paper on the table.

"I'm Lee," the girl introduced herself.

"Skye," she responded.

"Is that short for something?"

"Yeah, Skylar."

"Cool. My name is short for Leah."

"Cool as well."

"How come we've never talked?"

"Don't know. I'm just quiet."

"I could've sworn I have seen you boisterously speak to a group of people before in the hallway."

"Oh, those people got to be my friends. I only talk to them."

"Oh. Are you 'clique-y'?"

"Oh, no. Oh, God, no. I hate cliques. They're just my best friends. They hang out with other people, too, but we hang out with each other a lot."

"Okay. I am not a big fan of cliques myself. That's how bullying starts."

"I know, right? I'm joining an anti-bullying campaign on the internet."

"So am I. Which one?" Lee picked up the toy car and placed it on the metal scale on the counter.

"'1World, 1Heart'."

"I'm joining that as well."

"Really?" Skye drew lines on the paper to make a chart. "What's your username?"

"LeatherBunny603."

"I'm MarryMeBono."

"No way! I read your report on your childhood experience with bullying. I 'hearted' it."

"Thank you. And did you post a video on how little kids should report bullies to teachers?"

"Yes, I did."

"I watched it. And loved it. I wrote a comment on the video."

"Oh, I don't read my comments."

"You should. Mine was really nice."

Lee smiled.

"What's the weight?"

"0.63 kilograms," Lee read the scale.

Skye wrote the number down on the paper. "What angle do you want the board at?"

"Whatever works."

"Forty-five degrees?"

"I was just thinking that."

Skye collected two wooden blocks from the counter as Lee held up the board at a slanted angle. Skye slid the blocks under the board to hold it up. Lee grabbed a protactor from a plastic basket and held it at the end of the board to measure the angle.

"It is close to forty-five degrees," Lee stated.

"That's fine." Skye placed another block in front of the ramp-shaped board.

"Here's a timer." Lee passed a small stopwatch clock to Skye.

"Thanks. Hey, you like 5 Seconds of Summer?"

Lee looked down at her T-shirt, which had a 5 Seconds of Summer logo on it. "Yep."

"Me, too."

"But I'm obsessed with them."

"You can't spell 'obsess' when you're around me. I'd marry them all in a second."

"I thought you wanted to marry Bono."

"That's if he doesn't strongly love me enough."

Lee giggled. "So you're a fan?"

"Fan with a capital F." She started to sing, "You look so perfect standing there..."

"In my American Apparell underwear," Lee sung back.

Then the girls started singing, "And I know now that I'm so down."

"Hey, you're a good singer," Lee complimented.

"Thank you. I'm in a band."

"Seriously?"

"Serious...ly."

"What is it called?"

"A New Yesterday."

"Ooh, capturing."

"That's what I thought."

"Is your band famous?"

"No. But we have videos on YouTube."

"Do a lot of people watch them?"

"No."

"Oh. I'm still going to watch them. You sound talented."

"Thanks for assuming."

Lee placed the car on top of the ramp.

Skye turned on the clock. She pressed the button to make the time turn on. "Go," she said.

Lee let go of the car, making the car slide down on the ramp. Skye stopped the time as soon as the car hit the block on the end of the ramp.

"More than two seconds," read Skye. "I can't wait to do this four more times."

"Yeah, this is kind of boring."

"Yeah."

"But do you know what's not boring?"

"What?"

"U2 is pre-selling tickets for their upcoming tour."

"Really?! I didn't know they were selling tickets."

"That's because it's online."

"I hope the ones online are not sold out."

"They're about to be."

"Ugh!"

"But I was planning to buy one. Perhaps I can buy you one."

"Can you do that for me?"

"Of course."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive! I need someone to go with me and I don't want to bring my mom. She's frightening."

"Well, if you insist..."

"I do insist. I might be able to get the front row tickets so you can close to your husband."

"Seriously?"

"Serious...ly."

No comments:

Post a Comment