Thursday, December 11, 2014

I Wanna Be... (Chapter 3)

The following day, also after school, Andrea made plans to hang out with Lizzie at her house. They mostly spent time in Lizzie's bedroom where they performed yoga by stretching each other as they sat on the floor and faced each other.

Lizzie pulled Andrea's arms with Lizzie leaning back and Andrea leaning forward. "You are going to be so flexible when we're done."

"Isn't touching my toes enough?" Andrea asked in a straining voice.

"Nope, you want to be able to bend backwards. Like that girl from Chandelier."

"Oh, I've always wanted to dance like that girl from Chandelier."

The girls started singing, "I'm gonna swing from the chandelier. From the chandelier."

Andrea pulled Lizzie's arms to make her lean forward. "Does this make your butt bigger?" she asked.

"No, that's the squat's job."

"Oh, I do plenty of that."

"I do squats in my sleep. Seriously, my parents had to take me to the hospital to figure out what did that meant."

"That's weird."

"At least I was getting more exercise."

"Hey, can you help me with something?"

"Sure, anything."

"Can you help me with a homework assignment?"

"Oh, I think you're asking the wrong person."

"No, it's sort of an easy assignment."

"Oh, I do good with easy assignments."

"Uh-huh. I have to make a collage about who I want to be."

"And?"

"I don't know who I want to be."

"Don't you want to be you?"

"Yes, but I got to have a job. And I don't know what job I want."

"Everybody knows what job they want."

"But I don't know."

"That sounds sad to me. You won't have a career?"

"It's not that I won't have one; it's more about where to start. What do you want to be in the future?"

"Easy! I want to be a model."

"Why?"

"Why not? I'm tall and beautiful. Sort of. I'm still figuring it all out but I wish to become a famous supermodel. I love fashion and walking so why not combine the two?"

"Wow, that is very inspiring."

"But if all falls from grace, I want to be a mannequin."

"A-A mannequin?"

"Yep. Just stand in front of the windows and pose."

"Uh... I think that requires fake people."

"Ugh! Why do fake people have it all?"

Later that afternoon, Andrea went over Debra's house. She asked Lizzie if she wanted to come along but Lizzie told her that she wanted to study. So Andrea drove down to Debra's house all by herself. She was let in by Debra's father and hung out with Debra in her room.

"Do you smell that smell?" Debra asked.

Andrea sat on Debra's bed which had a spread covered with a big peace sign. "Yes, what is that smell?"

"Berry sherbet, coming from my new candle." Debra aimed her arms over to her nightstand which had the lit candle on top of it.

"Don't fires ruin the environment?"

"No, that's only if they're near trees. And I ain't got no trees in here."

Andrea turned her head. "You have that little Asian tree over there," she pointed at the plant on the dresser.

"Well, I'll do my best to keep these two separated."

"Debra, can I ask you a question?"

"I'm not doing your homework for you."

"I don't want my homework done by anyone except myself."

"Then what do you need help with?"

Andrea paused. "My homework."

"Of course."

"No, it's different. Totally different. I need to know who I am."

"Uh, should you know that?"

"Yes, and I do. But I have no clear idea of who I want to be when I grow up."

"Everyone knows--"

"You already told me that."

"Yeah, and I'll say it again. Andrea, look at all the people on TV. They are all different. What they do is based off what they like. What do you like?"

"I like to shop."

"Then become a buyer."

"But that sounds complicated than it should be. I got to go to college for that and I don't want to go to college."

"You don't want to go to college?"

"Well, I haven't thought about it that much. I'm only sixteen."

"And getting old. Meaning you have to decide what you want to do now."

"What do you want to do?"

"I want to teach yoga. You know, become a yoga instructor. I do yoga every day and I pretty much mastered it so why not teach it? It really opened my mind to explore new things as long as I'm cool, calm and collected."

"Hmm."

"What? That's not good enough?"

"No, I just like the idea."

"Thank you, Andrea."

"So you like sherbet?"

"Yeah."

"What does it taste like?"

"Oh, no, I don't eat that crap. I prefer to smell it."

No comments:

Post a Comment