Monday, December 22, 2014

The Bad Breakup (Chapter 4)

The next day, after school, Lizzie dressed in her baggy clothing and drove home in her red car while sobbing non-stop. She opened the door with her key and once she set foot in the door, she spotted Hank sitting on the couch.

"Hi," he greeted almost shyly.

"What the frick are you doing here?" she asked with a shocked face.

"We let him in," said Lizzie's father, who entered the lobby with her mother.

"Why?"

"Because you've been very upset lately."

"And you said you would die if you don't see Hank," added Lizzie's mother. "And now you see him so you don't have to die."

"Your friends sent him over so it is very important that you two talk it out."

"But, dad, you don't like it when I have boyfriends," said Lizzie.

"Hey, it took me a lot of grapes to keep him here. I suggest you do this favor for me."

The parents walked out of the lobby and went upstairs. Lizzie wiped the inky tears from her cheeks and stared at Hank who was awkwardly staring at her back.

"Do you wanna sit?" he asked.

"It's my couch," Lizzie responded. "I decide whether I want to sit on it. But I'm going to anyway... because I want to."

She walked towards the couch and sat down a few inches from beside Hank. She sniffled to keep her nose from running.

"So... how are you?" he asked.

"Not good. Bad. Terrible. Worse than I ever have before."

Hank paused. "Well, it's nice to know you're doing well."

"Hank, why? Why did you leave me?

He sighed. "You're beautiful."

"Okay. So why did you leave me?"

"That's why."

"But you're beautiful, too."

"I know. I mean you don't know what it's like to have all these people to stop and stare at your girlfriend."

"That's true because I'm not lesbian."

"Lizzie, I can't have such a beautiful girlfriend. I especially don't deserve one."

"So you want an ugly girlfriend?"

"No but--"

"Why am I being punished for being pretty?"

"You're not."

"But I feel like I am."

"Lizzie, we can get back together if you can promise me one thing."

"Okay, what's the one thing?"

"If you start actually wearing those clothes that your parents make you wear."

"Like wear them, wear them?"

"Yes."

"You'll get back together with me if I start wearing ugly clothes?"

"Pretty much."

"Then I can't be with you."

"Why can't you do that for me?"

"Because those clothes make me who I am. Of course they come off as 'trashy' but I'm not trashy. I like to look nice and feel pretty. Those clothes are what you are not."

"What are you trying to say?"

"I'm saying that I can't be with someone who is so insecure."

"I'm not insecure."

"But that's how you're sounding. You got to like me for me and accept my choices. And I make very good choices... I think. Who cares what other people think?"

"I-- I--"

"Clearly you. I would never change you. I love you too much. But I guess I have to get over it."

"You don't have to--"

"But now I want to. Maybe one day, you'll be happy with someone who's the opposite of me because that's what you want." She wiped away the forming tears from the bottom of her eyes. "I think it's time for you to leave."

"Somehow, after talking to you, it gave me a realization."

"That you like ugly girls. I get it. I have nothing against them. Ugly people need love, too. I just wish I could have stayed with you longer."

"And you still be if--"

"Stop! Stop talking! Just leave, please."

"Lizzie, I'm sorry."

"It's too late to apologize!" she sang off-key.

Hank grew a saddened look on his face. He sighed before getting up from the couch and leaving the house, closing the door softly behind him.

"It's too late," Lizzie continued to sing quietly.

No comments:

Post a Comment