Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Masqueraded Man (Chapter 5)

The next day, the girls had lunch in the school cafeteria. They were in an awkward position as they stared at Madeline whose face was lying down on her turkey sandwich.

"You gonna eat that, Mads'?" asked Andrea.

Madeline moaned inside her mouth.

"Is that a no?"

"Are you still upset about the Jerry thing?" asked Skye.

Madeline lifted her head up, exposing soft white crumbs stuck to her face. "Yes!" she whined.

"You have sandwich on your face," Lizzie noted.

"Why did he leave me? Why do they always leave me?"

"Why do you miss him?" Skye questioned.

"Why is the sky blue?"

"Is that question rhetorical?" asked Lizzie. "Because I don't know the answer to that."

"I miss him because I felt a special connection with him. Now that's connection's gone. It's long gone."

"You barely knew him" said Skye.

"You don't have to know somebody to feel a connection. You just feel it; it comes up."

"Like a rash?" asked Lizzie.

"Like a big, ol' rash."

"I think it's sweet that Madeline felt a special feeling towards Jerry," commented Debra.

"I think it's gross," Skye added.

"I think it's-- I don't know," Andrea jumped in.

"Why did he leave?" Madeline inquired in a whiny voice.

"Because he moved," Lizzie replied.

"I know that, Liz'. But I just met him."

"Maybe it's destiny saying that they'll give you pleasure but bring you pain," said Debra.

"I don't know what Destiny Danielson has to do with this," said Lizzie, "but that does not sound very nice of her."

"She's talking about destiny as in fate," said Madeline. "But I have had way too many chances with fate. There has been some errors that came along and it has always been that way every time."

"Maybe you dodged a bullet," said Andrea. "He could have been a sex offender."

"I believe he's a little too young to be a sex offender."

"No, if you offend with sex in any way, you're a sex offender. So it doesn't matter how old you are; he could have been a sex offender."

"Yeah, no. He was and is not a sex offender. He was just a regular guy who went to Tech Club--"

"Yeah, that is one of the signs."

"How is that-- Never mind. I'm ignoring you. There was something about Jerry and I may never know what that was. But it felt good to want to know."

"Aw, that's nice," Debra commented.

"And weird," added Skye. "Like I said, you did not know him."

"Well, you don't personally know Bono and you say he's going to marry you."

"Hey, that is not just a dream; it is a goal and I will not let you crush it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment