Monday, December 12, 2016

I'm Moving Out! (Chapter 5)

Afterwards, Lizzie changed clothes and drove home to take Madeline's advice. She rang the doorbell and waited for someone to answer. Eventually, her father opened the door.
"Lizzie!" he said. "I thought you were dead."
"How could I be dead if half of my stuff were missing?" she asked.
"You got a point there. Come inside."
Lizzie entered. Her mother came out of the kitchen and was face-to-face with her daughter.
"Well, if it isn't the leaver," her mom said.
"Me leaving once makes me a leaver?" Lizzie questioned.
"I don't know. Where were you? I've been worried sick about you."
"You have?"
"Yeah, I was about to file a missing persons report."
"After six days?"
"You don't know my life. Where have you been?"
"I told you: I moved to Madeline's condo."
"Well, I don't know where Madeline's condo is."
"Oh, you should. It's the bomb."
"Does it have a balcony?" asked Lizzie's dad.
"Oh, yeah."
"How big is it?"
"Half the size of Jupiter."
Her dad gasped. "That's a big balcony."
"Joseph, please," said Lizzie's mother. "Elizabeth, why would you move out like that?"
"You know why."
"I don't know why," her father said.
"My mom said that I can't dress how I want because I'm living under her roof."
Her dad laughed. "Marie, it's just clothes."
"I know it's just clothes," his wife said. "That gives her no right to leave."
"Yes, it does. It's clothes."
"Aren't you on my side?"
"I guess I am, aren't I?" He came closer to his wife. "Just gonna move over here."
"Elizabeth, why is it so important for you to change your wardrobe?"
"Because for a long time, I've worn what you wanted me to wear," answered Lizzie. "Now as an adult finding herself, I want to wear what makes me happy. And long skirts and turtleneck sweaters don't make me happy. They make me miserable, especially on a hot day."
"Is that all?"
"No." Lizzie shook her head.
"No?"
"No."
"Why no?"
"Because I don't want to just change my outfit. I want to be treated as an adult. I know I may be a little... difficult but I'm doing the best I can. I know this is your home and I respect that. But this butterfly needs to build its wings. It can't sit in its cocoon forever. It's too hot in the cocoon."
"That's beautiful," her dad commented.
"It is," his wife agreed. "And you know, Dallas has been nonstop crying ever since you left."
"Aw, he has?" Lizzie asked.
Her mother nodded. "Yep. So has your dad."
"What?" he said. "No, Marie, I don't cry."
"Says the crier."
"Crying once doesn't make me a crier."
"I know; it's the total of fifty-six times you've cried. Elizabeth, it would really make me, your dad and your brother happy if you move back in."
"I want to move back in," said Lizzie. "But I can't if there's going to be so many rules."
"Well, guess what? You do as you please. But you still have to go to church on Sundays."
"Deal."
Lizzie's mother smiled. She gave her daughter a long, loving hug. Even Lizzie's father joined in. When they released each other, Lizzie sighed.
"I'm so glad to be back. Now I can do this."
Lizzie took off her tan sweater and brown maxi-skirt, revealing the outfit she had on underneath. She was wearing a pink crop top, which showed a lot of cleavage, and a white miniskirt. Her parents were shocked to see what she was wearing all this time. Their jaws were dropped and their eyes were the size of ping-pong balls.
"It feels so good to be myself around you guys," Lizzie said. "I love you so much." She gave her mother and father a kiss on the cheek.
They then watched their daughter run upstairs without her "good girl" clothes.
"Forgive me, Lord," started her mother, "but I need a drink." She entered the kitchen.
"Forgive me, Lord, too," said Lizzie's dad. "I need a drink as well." He went to the kitchen to join his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment