Friday, December 16, 2016

Everybody Loves a Waitress (Chapter 1)

On a Monday, the girls went to a cafe down the street from Madeline's condominium. They were sitting together at a table outside with sandwiches and cups of coffees. While the girls were eating, Lizzie was staring at her phone, which she sat on the table. It took a while but they started to notice her lack of eating and excessive staring.
"Whatcha doin', Lizzie?" asked Skye.
"Oh, just waiting," she answered.
"For what? For your phone to explode?"
"I'm waiting to get the call back on whether I got the job or not."
"The job at Wendy's?" inquired Debra.
"Mm-hmm. The guy, Rich, told me he would call on Monday and he didn't call yet so I'm waiting."
"Your sandwich is gonna get cold," said Andrea.
"I don't mind."
"Are you sure you don't want me to have it?"
"You didn't even finish the one you got," noticed Madeline.
"But it's delicious. I want another one."
"Finish yours then buy another one."
"Can you give me some money?"
Madeline rolled her eyes.
In a flash, Lizzie's phone started ringing.
"Ah!" she exclaimed. "It's him!"
"Then pick it up," ordered Skye.
"Okay." Lizzie answered her phone and held it to her ear. "Hello? Hey, Rich. What's up? Uh-huh. Uh-huh. Uh-huh. Uh-huh."
"Uh-huh," Skye said, almost in a mocking tone.
"Okay. Thank you for calling. Have a nice Monday or at least a decent one. Alright, bye." Lizzie hung up.
"What happened?" asked Madeline.
"I didn't get the job."
"Aw," all her friends uttered.
"I'm sorry, Lizzie," said Debra.
"It's fine," Lizzie responded. "At least I applied to other jobs."
"But half of the ones you applied to, they already gave you an answer and they were all no," reminded Madeline.
"So what are you saying?"
"I'm saying there's a possible chance that you won't get hired at any of them."
"Don't say that, Madeline," Debra commanded. "That's not true at all."
"Why did Rich say he couldn't hire you?" questioned Andrea.
"Well, he said it had to do a lot with my resume," Lizzie replied.
"What was on your resume which made him not consider you?" asked Debra.
"Oh, he said stuff about me being a cheerleader and that was the only thing I did at high school. He also said the fact that I didn't know how to cook or clean but learned how to French braid at seventeen didn't really make me seem useful."
"Wow," Andrea commented.
"I know. And the mascot for Wendy's have braids so I think me knowing how to braid is pretty useful."
"Yeah, but I don't think it's required to braid your hair for that job, Lizzie," said Skye.
"Is it because my hair's not red?"
"Not at all."
"Oh, is it because I'm not Swiss?"
"Not at all."
"Or German? I don't know what that girl is."
"Lizzie, it's not about looks," said Debra. "It's about your abilities to get things done."
"Hey, I get things done. One time, it took me two hours to make a house of cards."
"Ooh, that's impressive," remarked Madeline.
"Too bad there's not a job for it," said Skye.
"I mean the abilities that everyone should know how to do, like cook," clarified Debra.
"I know how to cook," said Lizzie.
Skye laughed.
"Can you make this sandwich?" asked Andrea with her mouth full. "This is pure heaven."
"You have to know how to clean,too," added Debra. "Do you clean the bathrooms at your house?" she asked Lizzie.
"Ugh, no way," she answered. "Do you know how many people use the toilet at home?"
"Yeah, and that person includes you so it's not a big deal."
"I saw a video on the internet of a girl licking toilet seats," shared Skye. "Maybe that gives you an idea on how to clean the bathroom?"
"Ew, Skye," said Madeline. "Why were you watching that?"
"Look, this isn't about me. This is about Lizzie."
"Guys, can we not talk about licking toilets while I'm eating this sandwich?" asked Andrea.
"I'm sorry, Liz', but Debra's right," said Madeline. "Therefore, I don't think you'll get hired at anything at all."
"Now, now, I'm pretty sure she'll find something," said Debra. "Lizzie can't be completely handicapped from working."
"That's right," said Lizzie. "And if I get rejected from everything I applied to, I'll just keep applying to more jobs."
"That's the spirit." Debra gave Lizzie a thumbs-up.
"Hey, I know how to drive. I can be a delivery person for a pizza place or something."
Skye laughed. "Ain't no way," she said.
"Yeah, stay behind the scenes, Lizzie," Debra advised. "Don't try anything big."
"Oh, alright," Lizzie agreed. "Ooh! I should apply for Madeline's old job at the Pink Tee."
"No," said Madeline. "Penelope didn't like you that much."
"Oh. Why?"
"If I tell you, I'd have to kill you."
"Oh, you don't have to kill me."
"Oh, yes, I do."

No comments:

Post a Comment