Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Jealousy is a Strong Word (Chapter 5)

After the strange fight between Andrea and Leslie, Leslie was sent to the nurse and was requested to stay home to rest. Since Andrea was responsible for her injuries, she was told to serve morning detention every day for two weeks. Even though Andrea was unhappy with the news, she saw it coming.
The next day, after attending detention, Andrea initiated in her school schedule just like everyone else. She went to AP chemistry, having to get stung by some of the eyes who witnessed the fight the day before. When the class began, the teacher told everyone to finish their projects. So the students went to their assigned counters with their assigned partners. After speaking to the teacher, Kienne approached Andrea, who was waiting for her.
"Hey... Andrea, right?"
"Yeah," Andrea said, cocking her head.
"Okay. So don't get mad but I asked Mr. Emerson if I could work with a different group so it could be a group of three and he agreed."
"Why would you ask to work with other people?"
"Because you kinda scare me a bit and I don't need that type of pressure, you know?"
"I guess that's understandable. You should work with somebody harmless and somebody who has a name you will remember for more than two weeks."
"Thanks a lot. And sorry about your hand."
Andrea looked down at her right hand which was bandaged. "Oh, it's okay. It's not the first time I burned myself during a project-gone-wrong."
"If your hand ever aches, you should rub lettuce on it."
"Rub lettuce on it?"
"Yeah, I heard it soothes the pain."
"I don't think that will work."
"Yeah, me, neither."
"Then why did you--"
"You know, they say aspirin gets rid of aches. Maybe you should rub aspirin on your hand."
"Kienne, when you talk, do you hear yourself? Because I can tell that you're aware that you're talking; I don't think that you are actually listening though."
"I don't know. So I guess I'll see you later, Angie."
Kienne walked away to whatever counter she had to be at. While Kienne wasn't looking, Andrea threw air punches out of frustration. Eventually, Randall was next to approach her.
"What do you want?" Andrea asked.
"You should know," said Randall. "We have to finish the project."
"We?"
"Yes, we. So can you quit stalling? Because of you, my partner is at home, recovering from your gigantic elephant stomps."
"I did not stomp on her. I whacked her with a stick."
"You know what I'm trying to say."
"Do I?"
"Listen, I'm not gonna work by myself and there's no one else to work with."
"You could've worked with Kienne but she's kinda dumb."
"I know. I guess I'll take what I can get."
"What is that supposed to mean?"
"Don't start, okay? I do not want to be where Leslie is right now. Where she is right now is totally without reason anyway."
"Hey, I had a reason. She uttered a racial slur at me. I oughta call Johnnie Cochran on her."
"What?"
"I don't know. The point is I did what I did for a reason."
"I can't believe I'm stuck with you again."
"Hey, don't act like this is the worst day ever. I'm the one who has to wake up earlier than I'm used to in order to go to detention, which I have to go to for a fortnight. That's right, I said 'fortnight'. I also have to wear this bandage on my hand for God knows how long."
Randall raised his hand, showing the bandage which he did not remove. "So do I."
"Hey, we can be bandage buddies."
"Don't get corny."
"Bro, I will smack the corn out of you."
"Go ahead! But I know you'll not because it's just your usual empty threat. But whether you do anything or not, go ahead. I'm not afraid of you."
"That's why I like you," Andrea muttered.
"What?"
"I said that's why I'm gonna smack you... until corn falls out."

No comments:

Post a Comment