Thursday, August 11, 2016

Jealousy is a Strong Word (Chapter 2)

A couple days later, Andrea's AP chemistry class was assigned to do another project using the countertops again. When everyone scrambled to get with their partners, Andrea stood by the counter she and her partner, Randall, was assigned to. She waited a while for Randall to arrive but he did not come as early as he used to. She could see him near the back of the room with his back turned. Andrea was confused so she called his name a few times before he turned around and had to walk up to her.
"What are you doing, man?" she asked.
Randall didn't answer. Well, he was about to but Andrea happened to notice the bandage on his left hand.
"So it was that bad?"
"What do you mean, 'it was that bad'?!" Randall snapped. "You've seen it! You know what? I'm not gonna argue with you."
"Good."
"Because I asked Mr. Emerson if I could swap partners with someone else and he agreed."
"Wait, what?"
"I am not your partner anymore, Andrea."
"Why? You couldn't handle it?"
"No, it's just that you're difficult to work with. I tried to push through it but, by God, how much do you push?"
"So who's my partner now, pushy?"
"Well, Mr. Emerson fixed me up with Leslie Holmes so you're gonna have to work with Kienne Abbott."
"Leslie Holmes? The super nerd? Good. You two belong together. Me and Kienne are gonna have a fun time. She's got a good style; I got a good style. We're the perfect pair."
"Fantastic. We obviously don't need each other anymore so now we have no distractions."
"Exactly 'cause I sure don't need you."
"The feeling is mutual." Randall began to walk away.
"Yeah, it is." Andrea started singing off-key, "Now I'm free! Free falling!"
When she was done singing, a girl walked up to her. She was African-American with long, relaxed, brown hair. And she had a bunch of various-sized butterfly-shaped rings on her fingers.
"Hi," she greeted. "I have to be partners with Andrea Gonzalez. This you?"
"Yeah, this me," Andrea answered.
"Great. I'm Kienne and I just love your style."
"Thank you." Andrea posed, super proud of her trendy, casual outfit. "And nice rings. I like butterflies."
"Cool. Are you a fan of In the Time of the Butterflies?"
"I don't know what that is but I'm down."
"What grade do you have in this class?"
"A 'B'."
"Great! Maybe you can help me raise my grade a bit."
"What grade do you have?"
"An 'E'."
"Oh. Does it represent a fifty percent?"
"No, more like a twenty percent."
"Oh. How are you failing if you were working with Leslie Holmes?"
"'Cause I don't like that girl. And if I don't like you, then you can't help me."
"Well, do you like me?"
"Of course! We're gonna be 'B' buddies."
"Heh, I'm more of a 'C'."
"What?"
"Nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment