Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Jealousy is a Strong Word (Chapter 3)

A week later, the girls were attending school just like any ordinary weekday. Later, lunchtime began and the girls were situated in the cafeteria, at their usual table. Andrea had a lot to say since her normal routine had been changed in chemistry class.
"I can't believe I used to have a 'B' but now I have a 'C'," she said. "And not just a C, but a C minus. Do you know how low a C minus is? Pretty low. And tomorrow, I'll get a 'D', thanks to Kienne. Why did Randall ever leave me in the first place? He was the one who helped my grade stay up."
"Did you really just ask why did Randall leave you?" questioned Madeline. "Girl, you burnt his hand."
"Yeah, but his hand is fine now. He didn't have to be a big baby about it."
"So you want Randall to be your partner again?" asked Lizzie.
"Uh, no. All we did was argue. I don't want to work with someone who gives me stress and anxiety. I get enough of that when my clothes stop fitting."
"So you don't think you need him?" asked Skye.
"No, I need him. Not like that."
"Not like what?"
"You know. That! I just need him for my grades. He is the smartest guy in my class."
"So you've thought about it?" Debra questioned.
"Thought about what?"
"Being with Randall."
Andrea laughed obnoxiously. "No! What are you, crazy? I never thought about being with Randall. I can hardly think about standing next to him."
"Let me clarify," said Madeline. "So you don't miss him?"
"Guys, why you keep asking me questions that begin with 'so'? So this, so that. Keep your so's to yourselves!"
"So-- Sorry," said Lizzie.
"Look, we're just asking if you miss Randall," Madeline cleared.
"Then my answer is no," responded Andrea. "I'm fine at chemistry. I can do chemistry by myself. It's just that I was great at chemistry when I worked with Randall because he was a 'brainiac'. Now he's working with Leslie, who doesn't need to raise her grade. Her grade is high enough. Just because she's smart doesn't mean she has to work with smart people. Okay, she did not need to steal Randall from me."
"Steal Randall from you?" repeated Debra. "You're making it sound like Randall was yours."
"He was mine. Not like that."
"Not like what?" Skye asked again.
"You know. That! Listen, all I'm saying is that Leslie and Randall are not right for each other."
"Uh, they sound completely right for each other to me," said Madeline.
"Well, they're not. Sure, he's nicer to Leslie than he was with me. And they don't really yell at each other. But come on, doesn't anyone need a little drama in their lives? Like why be with someone so boring when there is an exciting person for you?"
"Why are we talking about Randall's love life?" questioned Skye.
"We're not! I just think he needs to be with someone who's nothing like Leslie."
"Andrea," called Madeline calmly.
"What?"
"Do you like Randall?"
Andrea made a face of disgust. "N-No."
"You hesitated."
"That's because I was about to throw up."
"Oh, my gosh-kabob!" smiled Lizzie. "You like Randall."
"No, I don't."
"Andrea, it's obvious," said Skye. "You want Randall all to yourself."
"That is a bunch of baloney."
"No, it's not, Andrea," said Debra. "Despite the rotten relationship you had with Randall, you talked about what he deserves in his life. That shows you care about him."
"Uh, you trippin', Debbie. I don't care about that bite-sized Carrot Top, okay?"
"I think you do," nodded Madeline, "and you want a bite of that carrot, no matter how much you deny it."
"Gross, Maddie. That is just gross. You guys know that I hate Randall and Randall obviously hates me. Why on Earth would I have a crush on him? Have you seen the guys I've dated?"
"Yeah, they were all nice guys," replied Skye. "Except for Kevin. Kevin is a douchebag. But he's a different type of douchebag. The reason it didn't work out with any of them is because the only guy who handle you is someone is completely like you. That is where Randall gets into the mix."
"How is Randall anything like me?"
"Well, let's see: he's short-tempered, he's fearless, he's self-assured and he's stronger than a rock even though he does not appear that way."
"Okay, you got me there. But I can't stand him. All we do is argue. Even when there's nothing to argue about, we still argue. I don't want to be with somebody that I can't have a calm and actual conversation with. What you guys are saying does not make any sense."
"It makes perfect sense," disagreed Madeline. "You like Randall because Randall is you. Face the facts."
"There are no facts to face. Look, you cannot convince me that I have a certain idea when I know that that idea does not exist within me."
"The one who is a pebble cannot believe that they are a rock," stated Debra.
"Oh, knock that crap off, Debbie. I can never go out with a guy who reminds me of Chucky, okay?"
"Don't be so self-centered, Andy," said Lizzie.
"I am not centering myself, Lizzie. Trust me."
"You're in denial," noticed Madeline.
"I am not in denial. I know how I think and how I feel. I do not like Randall." After a short silence, Andrea said, "Oh, my God."
"What?"
"I like Randall."

No comments:

Post a Comment