Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Girls Like Enemies (Chapter 5)

The following day, Mr. Emerson told the students to finish the projects on organic chemistry. Randall did most of the work for the project for almost fifteen minutes. Andrea was too depressed to do anything. She knew that Randall loathed her but she was bothered that Randall wasn't going to stop loathing her. There was nothing for her to do since everything she did upset him. Randall began to notice Andrea's lack of provision.
"Andrea, aren't you going to do something?" he asked.
"No," Andrea moaned.
"Why not?"
"'Cause nothing I ever do pleases you."
"But it would be nice if you help me."
"Nice?" She stood up straight from her slouching state. "I've tried to be nice to you but you, for some reason, won't reciprocate."
"It's not my job to reciprocate."
"But don't you have any manners? Like, you can't appreciate anything, even the smallest things. I can't work with you anymore."
"Oh, please, we've tried that already. It didn't work."
"Who cares? I can't work with you anymore. Look, your 'girlfriend', Leslie, is back so you can go ahead and work with her. She's practically the only person who doesn't irritate you anyway."
"She irritates me a little bit."
"It doesn't matter. You two are smart so you work better together. I'm just some dumb, violent girl who doesn't know how to do anything."
"That's nonsense. It's not like you're handicapped or anything."
"But if I was, you'd still treat me the same. So why don't go and work with Leslie so you don't have to look at my dumb, ugly face ever again?"
"I should if you're gonna act all suicidal about it."
"Randall, you called me an idiot and ugly so it's not like I'm talking crazy. I'm just done trying to make you not hate me."
"Andrea, I-- Listen, I know we don't get along well. To be honest, you do have your dumb moments but you're not dumb at all. You're actually smart, just not as smart as me."
"Are you trying to make me feel better?"
"Be quiet. Anyway, I don't hate you. I dislike you but I can never hate you. It's not like you're a terrorist or anything. You just got flaws. But so do I. I'm not perfect; I have temper problems for crying out loud. So the reason we don't get along is because of me. When I met you, you were nice but I wasn't. I apologize for that. I would also like to apologize for calling you 'ugly'. You are a beautiful woman and maybe I said that out of anger. But just because I call you names and whatnot does not mean that I mean them."
"You think I'm beautiful?" Andrea slowly smiled.
"Yes. Wait, what? No. I mean yes but... You know what I mean."
"Yeah, I do."
"So can we go back to work... please?"
"Of course."
"Thank you."
Andrea reached for the instructions and grabbed them to read them as Randall used a pipette to drip its contents into a small glass beaker.
"So are we, like, friends now?" Andrea asked.
Randall scoffed. "I'm not gonna go to your quinceaƱera or anything."
"I already had my quinceaƱera."
"Look, I don't know what Spanish people do."
"Hey, screw you, Alison Hannigan!"
"Shut up, you messed-up looking Ricky Martin!"
"Okay, we're back to normal."

No comments:

Post a Comment